Nother Boat :-)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
Well, my Father in Law has offered to give me another boat. No idea what it is but I do know it is bigger than the 1436 I have, Aluminum, flat bottom with a console ( he said he had the controls and an Evinrude Lark 50 hp motor), I really didnt pay that much attention to it (I was in a hurry) when he told me about, the main thing I did notice was the Bow had the trim on top busted loose like someone had hit something with it. I will post up some pics later but first I have a question...the bow, it isn't busted vertical but there is a huge dent, the damage is horizontal, would this be an easy fix for me to do myself? I do not have any welding skills or know of anyone close that can weld aluminum. I was thinking maybe a patch with rivets or jb weld or both...something other than a weld?

Here's some pics of the boat. Polar Kraft, not sure of the year, he wasn't there. Just wondering if you guys think it's worth the trouble of rebuilding or not. Maybe someone can shed some light on what all these boxes are for? I did notice the live well is under the console.

boat6.jpg

boat7.jpg

boat8.jpg

boat5.jpg

boat4.jpg

boat3.jpg

Not sure what these are for, they look like gutters from a house.
boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

:shock: Don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but I'd have to pass. To me it looks like 150-200 hrs. of labor and $1000 + in materials to make it safe and reliable again. Just my $0.02 worth.

I guess I'm different, I see that as a lovely project to upgrade your boat on. Yes, it takes more money to get it going, but in the end, you'll have a much nicer boat than the one you have now. Once done, you can sell your current boat and recoup some of that money.

I agree with Dave, it's a nice project and you can take your time and fix it up as time and funds allow.

Like moberg said clean it out and fill it with water and check for leaks.

My guess is the gutter deal down the side is a rod holder

There should be a tag on it that will tell you what size it is, it's written like 1654 which means it 16 ft long and 54 inches wide across the bottom.

I found a new way to check for leaks that involves no water. Just wait for it to get dark and set your shop light under it and pull it a few feet and then go check for any light peering through the hull.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343278718.076971.jpg

I think it is a fantastic project! Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I was looking toward it being a project that me and my boys could work on. Although, I would rather have one that I could just throw a deck and floor in but...I think that one will either gets us killing each other or make some real nice memories. No worries guys, not that easy to hurt my feelings :wink: If it was, I would not have brought it to the forum for your comments 8)

Hey if you are getting that boat for free....I would jump all over it. Get a good pressure washer and clean it up....yea you are going to have to spend many weekends to get that thing ready to fish. If you do it with your boys the memories and fun will pay off. That gutter thing is a rod locker...I think with some good ole elbow grease you could make that thing killer. I am currently working on my boat with my 13 yo stepson. It keeps him off the video games and soon we will be fishing..... :mrgreen:

You will get all the help you need right here....everyone will be glad to help you. :WELCOME:

One additional thought:

Include your father in law in the restoration and take him when you go fishing. He'll enjoy it, you'll grow closer because of it and he'll enjoy his grandsons. Long term, you'll be glad you did.

The father in law will be included :D He knows more about boats than I do and loves to fish. He is giving me the boat for free plus he said he had a 50hp Lark with controls to go on it after it's finished.

Latest posts