Replacing Rivets??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bman

Reaction score
I did a few searches but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

We have a project boat that needs a few Rivets replaced.
All but one are above the water line and not structural.. just spots that the last guy had riveted accessories into the hull.

I was going to get pop rivets at Harbor Freight but noticed the Mandrel is steel
Is there enough steel left behind to worry about galvanic corrosion?
We are using the boat in salt water so steel is a problem!

Is there a how=to on setting solid aluminum rivets?
I found several references to Harbor Freight air hammers... I have a compressor so that would be a good thing to get.
But how do you support the other side of the rivet when your hammering it?

Thanks for the help and direction... will post up pics of the project as we move forward!

don't use the steel mandrel rivets on the boat. the mandrel will rust out leaving only the outer shell of the rivet with nothing inside to hold the shape. you can get aluminum body/aluminum mandrel blind rivets at lowes/home depot or lots of places online. below the waterline you should use closed end blind rivets and some sealant.

to set solid rivets you use a heavy metal "bucking bar" on the other side of the rivet from where you are hammering. usually takes two people.

You can use closed end blind (pop) rivets, and the steel mandrels are fine. It's just a little BB sized peice of steel left behind, and if you're worried about that you can dab over the mandrel hole with some 3M 5200 or marine epoxy.

I buy all of my rivets here for the best price and service:
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

jigngrub said:
You can use closed end blind (pop) rivets, and the steel mandrels are fine. It's just a little BB sized peice of steel left behind, and if you're worried about that you can dab over the mandrel hole with some 3M 5200 or marine epoxy.

I buy all of my rivets here for the best price and service:
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html
+1 what jigngrub said on the rivets, the steel mandrels and the purchase place.

Latest posts