how to fix a leak??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
I just bought a 14ft Sylvan sea snapper in great shape but noticed a little water on the ground under the bow when i got it home im assuming that there is a little leak any tips or suggestions.I am a first time boat owner so if you have any other suggestions on anything else to check on the the boat please let me know i am new at owning and working on aluminum boats...thanks for all of the help Mike

Get it up in the trailer and fill the boat with water. Leave it sit for a few hours and you'll be able to see where the leak is coming from. One you determine what is leaking (rivet, small hole, etc.) the guys on here will be able to tell you the best way to repair it. Make sure to mark the leak with a sharpie so you don't forget exactly where it was at.

I fixed a leak in the bottom of my boat using Gluvit epoxy. One can was enough to coat the entire floor of my 15ft'er. Here's a link to the stuff I used:
https://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html

As to leaking rivets, most of the people seem to go with 5200 or some other marine silicone. Here's the company's .pdf for the goo:
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMXfXnXfXEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

You definitely want to fill up the boat and use a sharpie to pinpoint the leak, that is great advice that most of us used. Good luck!

I used Glutit, too. It was real easy to work with. I mixed it up in small batches and painted the rivet heads with a small paint brush from my son's paint set. I had a couple leaking stress cracks, too. These I stop drilled and had a professional welder come over and fix. I found all the leaks by filling the bottom of the boat with water and marking the leaks with a Sharpie like the other guys suggest.

Alcoa Aluminum Gutter seal because of its compound being designed for aluminum it has aluminum powder to allow for full seating into the hull. If you do take my advice just remember it is made to last so once you put it on and it dry's to the hull it is basically a part of the hull and you aren't going to get it off easy.

the inside of the hull is better because it will seat into the hull and you can put more onto the crack or hole without worrying about water resistance.

Latest posts