First boat purchase help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nooch2222

Reaction score
0524121919.jpgHello all. I have a question on an aluminum 14' rinker boat. it would be my first boat if i purchase it. The gentalman said its aluminum with a fiberglass inside. My question is would it be to much work or is it possible to gut out the fiberglass, build a deck and put a nice trolling motor on for the little lakes up north here in Az? I'm getting a great deal on the boat. But if its just going to be a waist of money. Ill wait to buy something more suitable for the moutains. Any info would help.

Attachments

• 0524121919a.jpg
    0524121919a.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 776
Not sure what the inside looks like. Going to check it out tomorrow. But he said he would take $200 for both boat and trailer. Both need work

Buddychrist said:
Make sure he has a clear title

I'll second that. Everytime I have found a deal that cheap if the boat is in decent shape they didn't have title and the boat had no markings. Something like that is impossible to get registered.

If it has clear titles, for $200 I would take it on as a build. Of course, you are going to figure out how to bring her home. I wouldn't tow on that trailer until the axel was rebuilt and the trailer adjusted for the boat. looking forward to pictures.

Man thanks for all the help guys. Never thought about all that stuff. He seems like a nice guy. I also had a guy reply to my craigslist ad selling a 14' classic mirrocraft aluminum boat for $1000me no extras. Does the price sound right?

nooch2222 said:
Man thanks for all the help guys. Never thought about all that stuff. He seems like a nice guy. I also had a guy reply to my craigslist ad selling a 14' classic mirrocraft aluminum boat for $1000me no extras. Does the price sound right?

That would really depend on the condition of the mirrocraft, that's the boat that I have and they are great hull's but I don't see $1000 for a hull unless it is in prestige condition

The mirrocraft company is owned by a new business and no longer makes the same 14' V-hull

What I can tell you is that mirrocraft has one of the widest V-hull's of a 14' class and is extremely well built

My 14' mirrocraft was made in 1979 and it only has two pinholes in the hull which I am patching with Alcoa aluminum gutter seal

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343087937.345645.jpg

Good to know. You have a nice boat there. This one he's trying to sell me is a 1958. In decent shape as far as i can tell from the picture he sent me.

Does the boat have an engine, what kind? Is there a trailer with the boat, what condition. The price seems a bit high for just the boat.

That price is just for the boat no extras!
Well i went and took a look at the Rinker boat and trailer. No good! To much work and money, And no title for the trailer or registration for the boat. Guess i'll keep on looking. Found another 14' with some damage on the left rail not sure what its called. Would anyone know how hard it would be to repair it or would it be ok to leave as is? Picture to follow.

Attachments

• boat project.jpg
    boat project.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 667
Thanks once again! I will definitely look into the traker boat. I was just thinking I could get a deal somewhere. But it is just a hassle. Thanks again for all the help Guys

Depending on the budget:
Buying a small tin boat that is compromised in any way, its the best way to end up in a piece of crap, more hassle than enjoyment. Usually boats sold cheap usually have problematic spots, or something is not correct.

Buying a 14' new will be like "get to the water, now!" and nothing else. Save yourself some money and save yourself some hassle in the process.

You could end with a better, more optioned hull than a used one, perfectly made, perfect paint, just ready for prime time.

A year ago found all this true. Finding a good 17' was like finding the perfect girl, only to end up buying new and just enjoying the thing every day.

New motor, new hull, everything working, non-skid paint, confortable, etc. That way theres nothing to fix. :D

Sharpix said:
Depending on the budget:
Buying a small tin boat that is compromised in any way, its the best way to end up in a piece of crap, more hassle than enjoyment. Usually boats sold cheap usually have problematic spots, or something is not correct.

Buying a 14' new will be like "get to the water, now!" and nothing else. Save yourself some money and save yourself some hassle in the process.

You could end with a better, more optioned hull than a used one, perfectly made, perfect paint, just ready for prime time.

A year ago found all this true. Finding a good 17' was like finding the perfect girl, only to end up buying new and just enjoying the thing every day.

New motor, new hull, everything working, non-skid paint, confortable, etc. That way theres nothing to fix. :D

I guess I look at things differently. I bought a used boat, was on the water from the first. No raiding the safe for cash, or making payments on a new one. I think even if I bought new there would be things I wanted different. I don't have to worry about my boat breaking or scratching the paint when I hit the dock wrong. I even like working on my boat. Right now it is on sawhorses and ropes while the trailer gets welded and then painted. I found a good base and now I enjoy having her in the water, as well as in my driveway waiting for the next project(carpeting and side skins). The whole time I've had my little jon boat she has been able to put in the water--except when I had her in for a tune up and that was in February.
Enjoy your new boat and I'll enjoy mine. Talking about the different options are what this forum is about.

Ok guys this is what i finally got. I traded a guy a used 22 rifle and a Garmin gps i had for this boat and trailer. Boat needs some TLC but other than that all looks good.

Attachments

• IMG952012082695140813.jpg
    IMG952012082695140813.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 195

Latest posts