Found a nice boat package,is it a good deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well i think i may have found a deal of a lifetime after loosing my boat,motor and trailer due to being sick in the hospital and needing money so i sold my boat package paid all my back bills and i have some money left to find a cheap deal to just get me on the water.

I found a 2003 1436 lw crestliner jon boat which is almost identical to the lowe i want in i mean mint condition from what i can see from the pics,a 2003 8hp 2stroke nissan outboard in great condition with a 2003 trailer that looks to be in great shape.The asking price is $1500 but i talked on the phone to him and he said bottom line is $1200,i think i may be able to get him down a hair more to maybe a $1000 or $1100.

If everything is in great shape i feel you can't find much better for the money,but it also makes me wonder why it hasn't sold yet.I guess i will find out tom.

If in great shape what do you guys think of that deal?

I agree about the picture, but make sure he's got the paperwork in order and in his name. Good Luck!

Well i know one thing is for sure the outboard is 100% not a 2003.He just might not know about outboards and was told that but i can tell by the color of the nissan.I think it's a late 90's or maybe even a early 90's.I am not buying for the motor though just the boat and trailer,i'm going to sell the motor for a great price if i's in perfect working order.As long as it runs good and has good compression i will take it.He has about 5 pics on craigslist and from what my naked eye can see it looks like a nice package but you never know what it really looks like till you get there.

The boat looks really clean.The trailer looks really clean as well.The good qhing is if i waste my time it's only 45 min away from my house.There is a nice 20hp 2stroke merc for sale that a guy has but he is getting some minor work done to it.I want to pair the 1436 and the 20hp together as i think that would make a nice package for now till i get back on my feet and get a bigger boat.I just want to go catch some darn fish now.When i had my other boat i never really used it due to being sick and lazy to.

I will say one thing when it's gone you really realize how much you miss it.I hope this is not a bust. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Well i picked up the package for $1200.It's a 2004 trailer,2003 crestliner heavyweight 1436 not the lite version and a 1992 8hp nissan that runs like a top.It has perfect dead even compression at 90lbs a cylinder.I thought the compression was low even know they were perfect on both top and bottom at 90lbs.I called tohatsu 3 times and talked to 3 different people in their service dept and they said the compression is right were it should be.Those little motors have compression under 100lbs per cylinder for some reason.He said that is actually what it comes out of the factory with is 90lbs per cylinder.

I bought the boat package for just the boat and trailer and i'm gonna sell the motor.It's def not the most beautiful motor to look at as someone tried to paint it and really screwed it up.The motor is extremely clean other wise.You can eat off the powerhead.I think i can get a few pennies for it.I'm gonna ask $575obo.I think that is a very fair price for a great running motor.I have a bottom line in my head.If i can't get at least my bottom line i will just keep it and paint it up nice and put some nice new decals on it.It won't take much to give it a nice paint job.I have painted a few already and with doing so i have got better and better.

I'm glad i got this boat because i want to mod the heck out of it.When you buy a new $1600 jon boat as i had before it's so hard for me to start tearing things apart and make a ton of holes in a brand new boat after spending a ton of money.This is a nice cheap say $400 boat that i have no problem making it into a fishing machine.This will be my first real mod so i can get all the experience i need on it so i won't screw up my next boat which will probally be a new boat.That is not till tax season though.The boat is rated for up to a 20hp and i have to tell ya the transom is extremely strong for a 1436.

Well i may be on the water in no time.These little nissan/tohatsus are so dependable and are some great running motors i may just keep it for how cheap i got it.I will give it a shot on craigslist first and see what happens.I will post some pics tom as it sits,before i do anything with it.I'm def gonna need some help moding it.I hope i can get some great info here to help me in that process as i have so far.I want a pure one man fishing jon boat.I'm gonna do a hair bit at a time due to money shortage.

I'm really glad i went and looked at the boat.I was gonna skip out on it but now i'm def glad i didn't.It was worth the ride and money.Ok till tom,thanks for the people who posted.

Well i'm def going to keep the boat and trailer.The guy wouldn't sell the boat and trailer alone.I'm going to sell the motor.It's a nice motor but it will be way underpowered for that boat.The boat is rated for a 20hp and there is a 8hp nissan on the back of it.I am going to get either a nice yamaha 2 stroke or a new suzuki 20hp 4stroke i have been raving about.

Of course if this motor has a problem selling i may just use it till i get some money together to buy a new outboard.The boat is solid.It is identical to a lowe 1436 heavy weight.What i mean it's not the lite series and has i belive .064 guage thick aluminum.It's also got a livewell to boot in the middle seat.This may work out after all.It's a very solid boat i can tell.The transom is extremely strong which is a very good thing of course.

I'm not even going to attempt fishing right now it's to darn hot so it gives me alot of time to go out and sweat my butt off moding the boat.I have gone over and over the mod section on this site and man there is so many things that i never would of imagined you cold do to a small jon boat.It's unreal how much money you can sink into it also if your not careful.It's got to be like a drug very addicting and can't stop moding.Well what i'm gonna do is give this motor at least a week to see if it sells and if it does use the money i get from it to mod my boat.I sure wish i still had my merc but i had to sell it to pay bills which i did and now i got this deal with what i had left.

I will find another again one day.Well i want to post the outboard to see what you think it's worth.Please keep in mind this motor is 21yrs old but you would never guess it by the condition.Wait till you see the powerhead.I'm just taking offers as of now i just got it on craigslist less then 5 min ago.I figure i can get at the very least $300 and top dollar maybe $550-$600 as it's well worth that.Here are the pics tell me please what you think and how much you would pay if you really wanted it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 570
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 570
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 570
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 570
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 570
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 570
Ya, because it's in such good shape, $400-450 sounds about right for my area also. Great deal on the boat by the way......good things come to those that deserve it....

I have it for $595obo.I'm a reasonable person and even know it's an older motor like you guys said it's in pretty good shape for a 1992.

Since you asked, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a 21 year old Tohatsu 8hp when I can find a through-prop exhaust Johnson / Evinrude 9.9 or 15 for that or not much more and the "not much more" would be worth it to me because I'd rather have the older OMC product.

But what I'd really rather have is a four stroke....

At close to $600.00, that's about a third of what one can find new 2011 9.9 four stroke Mercs for.

I'd be more inclined to put the nearly $600.00 in a CD and let it draw some interest, take Discover up on their 0% interest for 15 months offer, and buy a brand new four stroke Suzuki 9.9 or 15 and pay off the balance of the card in three months or less.

But that's just me.....

T-C

I sold it for $450,Now i can't wait to mod the boat.The boat is a 2003 cr 1436 crestliner.It's the heavyweight version as they would call it,the thicker guage aluminum not the lite version.It's seems to be a extremely strong boat.

It looks i mean 100%identical to the lowe i wanted that would of run me near $1300 out the door just for the boat,this way i got a boat,motor and trailer for less then what the boat would run me and i don't really have to worry about having a brand new boat now and just start plugging away.I'm going to do most of it in the fall when it cools here in 100 degree fl.Man it's blazing.I can't even walk to my car at night to get in it before being drenched with sweat it's so darn humid.Well july is almost over then aug and sept,then yes a bit of a break in oct.I'm still going to start on some of my days off.

There is no doubt this boat could hold a 25hp 2stroke merc or yamaha but i may go with a 20hp 4stroke motor.I think this boat would do just fine with a 20hp on it.I really like that suzuki more and more i look at it.I think the weight and the fact it's efi is awesome.There is a place down here that sells used camp mercs for like hunderds to several hundred less then a new one out of the box.

I am stuck between the merc 20hp and the suzuki20hp.The merc has what no other motor has,a very easy to use ratchet system to tilt the motor up and down.That feature alone is worth that merc,the suzuki is the 97lb weight,the efi,and the fact it's just new technology is awesome to me.I know for a fact the suzuki is quieter also.The merc or thatsu's have this screaming pitch when they get going.I can't stand it.At idle they are all darn near the same in being quiet.For now i am just going to concentrate on the boat.

Latest posts