Solid rivet size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Need to get some solid rivets for the factory ones I need to remove to get the transom swapped out. I haven't removed any of the factory ones yet, but wanted to see if any of you guys know what size I should be ordering. It's on a Tracker Sportsman 16'. I'm thinking 3/16" x 1/2", but I've never messed with rivets before so I really have no idea. Maybe I should remove what I need to first and then measure the holes??

Terp,

Just order some from here:

https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/solid-steel-rivets/solid-aluminum-1100f-alloy.html

The Brazier head rivets match my Tracker's rivets and I bet they'll match yours. Ordering factory rivets, if you can do it, is going to cost you a good bit.

The above outfit also has closed end rivets and if you need them for your build, you can order both from there for a reasonable price. They are pretty quick to ship and the rivets are excellent quality.

Thanks Dave!!

What size should I be looking at? I'm thinking 3/16 should be the standard and I'll get a few 1/4" in case some of the holes are out of whack. Also confused on what length I would need.

For the closed end/blind rivets I plan to go with 3/16" as well. Not sure on what size angle I'm going to be ending up with for framing, but I'm guessing 1/2" length on these?

The 2117t4 is the stronger rivet by far. That being said it is also harder to shoot.

Heres a 3/16 and 1/4 inch brazier rivets and setter bits. Both rivets are 3/8" long. I will bet your Tracker has the 3/16 size rivet 3/8" long.

Attachments

• rivets.jpg
    rivets.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,440
bg64vw said:
Heres a 3/16 and 1/4 inch brazier rivets and setter bits. Both rivets are 3/8" long. I will bet your Tracker has the 3/16 size rivet 3/8" long.

That's exactly the size mine has (3/16 size rivet 3/8" long) and Tracker ain't known for changing stuff that's working for them much.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies!!

This should be the right setting tool for my air hammer. I noticed some of these tools are listed as Mod. Brazier head. Should I be getting the Mod. head or the regular Brazier head?
https://www.tiretoolsonline.com/Ajax-Tools-1620-Rivet-Setters-316-with-Brazier-Head-A1620_p_35287.html

1100F, the other is much harder, but is tough to set and isn't appropriate for aluminum boats. The 1100F will do the job perfectly.

DaveInGA said:
bg64vw said:

That's exactly the size mine has (3/16 size rivet 3/8" long) and Tracker ain't known for changing stuff that's working for them much.

So I need to get my rivets ordered here soon. All of the rivets I'll be replacing are going through the boat hull and into something else (transom brace, etc.). With the rivets having to go through the hull and another piece of aluminum will I be safe getting the 3/8" long ones, or should I go with 1/2"?? THANKS!!

You have to measure the thickness of what you're going through and go from there. If you're concerned, buy some of both sizes. Will net out cheaper in the long run. Rivets aren't very expensive and the shipping is as expensive as a bag of rivets.

Latest posts