stainless steel and galvanized steel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
what is the big difference between the 2, i needed some nuts, bolts and washers for my trailer bunk brackets, so i got 3/8 galvanized bolts and lock washers and stainless steel washers and nuts, i would have got all galvanized to match my trailer but couldn't, mixing stainless and galvanized shouldn't be a problem right and are galvanized and stainless the same grade strength wise or is one stronger then the other. any input would be great thanks

You shouldn't have any problem with galvanic corrosion but i would still spray any of your stainless with galvanized paint just in case.

Otherwise you are good buddy!

both achieve resistance to corrosion through different processes.. galvanization leaves a coating of zinc which prevents corrosion on the steel, a scratched or worn out surface will expose the steel and rust will soon do it's work. stainless, on the other hand, has different alloys mixed in during manufacturing process, the composition is the same all throughout so if you cut/drill stainless it will still be stainless. both are available in varying grades/quality

follow Buddychrist's advice and you can forget about your nuts and bolts for a couple of years.......

Latest posts