Need Some Help Finding a Boat Like My Grandpas Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywooddippa

Reaction score
My dad and I used to go fishing with my grandpa all the time and would like to find one and restore it. All I remember about it is it was light blue with an indian decal on it and it had an 18hp Johnson that was red and white. I think the engine was from the late 50s early 60s and I think the boat was too. We got it when my grandp passed away and someone stole it while I had it tied up to the dock. It was aluminum and a v-hull.

Any ideas of the make?

Anything like mine? The indian head decal might be like the one in my avatar...Ouachita.

Attachments

• Ouachita9.jpg
    Ouachita9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Ouachita7.jpg
    Ouachita7.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 292
That looks right, but his was a very light blue and I think his had one less bench than yours, but yes your avatar looks like the one.

Thank you!!

On second thought, that's the right amount of benches also. My dad would drive the boat I would be in the middle and grandpa would be up front.......this is really bringing back some GREAT memories. Gandpa passed away 25 years ago.

Hi Hollywood. Here are some pother handy links to help you track down what you're looking for. Based on your description of the motor I'd say it was a '55-'58 Johnson 18 hp (FD-model). They went to an all-white, fiberglass cowl around '59, I think. The FD-model (Johnson) and E-model (Evenrude) are arguably the best pound-for-pound motor ever made......ever. Try getting 20 hp out of a modern motor that only weighs 80 lbs. and will still be running 50+ years from now. Yeah, not gonna happen. Although, I'm a little biased b/c I run a '66 Johnson 20 hp FD model and love it. I get about 20 mph out of it on a 14' semi-v hull tinny with a casting deck and two benches. Best of all, there are still lots of them around and parts are cheap and easy to get. These links should help get you started in your quest. Good luck. Happy hunting. Keep us posted.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

Latest posts