1984 Merc 50 Tilt/Trim Pump Leaking questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundshock

Reaction score
This is driving me batty. Anyone know what would cause this insane leak? Seems like this hole should be plugged maybe? All new O-rings, so that's out. Need to fix this ASAP.

[youtube]bXmR802m9DI[/youtube]

It is hard to tell by the video, where exactly is the leak coming from....is the housing cracked on the ram. Did you replace all of the seals? It appears to be coming from the ram itself and running down the side of the housing. What is the size of the motor? You can buy many aftermarket trim motor/pumps depending on the motor.

after looking at your video again it looks like your relief screw might be missing....if it is a threaded hole you need to replace the screw that goes in it. It usually has an allen head.

It's coming from the top of the valve body, from that little hole. There are no threads in the hole. Only thing I can think of is that maybe there was supposed to be a ball in that hole itself to seal it?

I'll get a bit more zoomed out pic to show where the hole is.

Figured I'd just give another video. Helps more than a static pic. Video is 1080p HD so you can use fullscreen and get a good look.

[youtube]P_54rpGlB20[/youtube]

Now I see it in the second video...I am no mechanic....I am willing to help ya though. What kind of motor does that trim pump go on? I will look it up and see if I can find an exploded view of that thing.

This is vague https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/1984/1075624/POWER%20TRIM%20PUMP%20(PRESTOLITE%20ROUND%20MOTOR)/parts.html
I looked up a possible replacement for your engine I can get them for probably around 225 bucks through one of my local distributors....The above liink is just what I googled...they are way high for that part....imo

Hey If you get me an exact part number for that part that is leaking I will give you a price from my area here in central florida.....When our mechanic guy comes around I will show him this video...he might just have the solution to your problem.....You might be able to just change that box shaped part if the motor is still working good.

Latest posts