Alumaloy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

va_sc_fisher

Reaction score
Has anyone used Alumaloy or Durafix to do any aluminum repair on their boat? This is the stuff 'as seen on tv' that you use a propane torch with.

https://www.durafix.com/

Thanks

Hmmmmm
This post reminded me that my dad bought some of these once, and I don't think he used them. Glad you reminded me of it cause I gotta chipped prop and a broke weld that needs fixin. Gonna look for them tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Hoping to get someone who has actually used it...anyone? Stuff is kind of expensive @10.00 for 1/4 lb.

I tried the cheaper type they sell at Tractor Supply or Home Depot. All I did was make the cracks in my boat ribs bigger.:( You have to use Mapp Gas to get the aluminum hot enough to melt the rod and aluminum doesn't change color when it is about to melt like steel so you can end up with a puddle instead of a boat if you are not careful. The more expensive stuff may work but from my experience I would find someone who can heliarc weld and do it that way.

Found the sticks. No luck getting a bond with aluminum. Got it to melt and flow but no weld was made. stuck good to other metals but not aluminum, maybe all mine are is just a high temp siler solder. Guess I gotta send my prop off. :cry:

fowlmood77 said:
Found the sticks. No luck getting a bond with aluminum. Got it to melt and flow but no weld was made. stuck good to other metals but not aluminum, maybe all mine are is just a high temp siler solder. Guess I gotta send my prop off. :cry:
The trick is to melt the stick with the heated aluminum and not with the torch. That however is one tough trick.

Latest posts