Bench Seat Removal Talk...again. (Angled Support Brackets?)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butthead

Reaction score
So I've seen a lot of back and forth on the boards about bench removal but not much on replacing them with angled support brackets.

A new member (aaronkcmo) just posted his boat that has both benches removed and have been replaced by angled brackets to support the sides.

What is the consensus on doing this? Do you think this style of support would be adequate to keep the sides from flexing?

I really like the concept, but personally I would feel more comfortable with brackets that are a little thicker...but I do like to overbuild things.

IMG529.jpg

I think the brackets on that size boat are adequate. I wasn't really under the impression that it was an issue, i guess I need to think about my boat, it's a gutted out 1670.
However I don't like the bars like that, seems like a trip hazard, or would be more so on a bigger boat like mine where you walk around more easily.

When you have more structures built into the sides of your boat and anchored to the deck, that aids in securing the sides. For example, livewell, storages, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Think it's fine for that boat (10' w/ electric only power). Throw a 9.9 on the back and run through some chop and you might see some flex. Both of the bench seats have been removed from my 1448 and there are no side brackets. No issues w/ my 8 HP, when I throw the 20 HP on and run in some chop, I can see a little flex. Although my 1440 w/ two bench seats would also flex to some degree.

LOOK LIKE THEY WOULD WORK.... BUT I WOULD HAVE WENT BIGGER AND INSTAEAD OF THE 45 ANGLE I WOULD HAVE HAD THEM FOLLOW THE SIDE/FLOOR CONTOUR. NO TRIP HAVARD AND LOOKS CLEANER IMO....

Somebody is going for a swim when they trip over one of those brackets :LOL2: I hope the water won't be cold, because getting back into that little tinny is going to be difficult without sinking it... which brings us to the subject of the deleted floatation foam that used to be in the benches.

Looks like a real trip hazzard to me, I would rather have the bench.

There are a few boats done where the center of the benches have been removed leaving enough structure to support the sides and to leave an area for storage or foam. I would re-enforced the ribs with aluminum angle or square tube bringing them all the way up the sides.

The thing you want to do beyond mounting the brackets is to attach some side panels. This solves the "trip" issue and makes the boat look nicer. Adding storage of some sort under/in the panels, running wire, rod storage, etc are all good solutions once the brackets have been designed. You do not have to leave them bare. Adding the panels also adds additional rigidity and eliminates flex.

the pictured brackets are totally insufficient. if you look closely, they are just bent bar stock, so they only have strength in tension, as in when the gunwales are pulled towards the outside of the boat. they provide little to no strength in compression, as when the gunwales are pushed in towards the center of the boat (such as happens when on the water).

the gusseting DaveInGA suggests would improve their strength in compression greatly.

Latest posts