washing an aluminum boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
I just bought an aluminum boat thats dirty but not to bad and needs a washing it is painted but wondering if you need anything special to was it or would car wash soap work...thanks mike

I use a cap full of Spic and Span in a bucket with a car wash mitt on mine, but I don't let it get very dirty. I have taken my boats to the car wash before if they were really dirty after a road trip. Never had any problems. Of course, just like with a car, if you have loose paint it may take it off.

Depends on the filth level. If it's just dirty and not ground in hard filth, just use soap, water and a water hose to rinse down. If it's filthy, consider using a pressure washer. But remember, a pressure washer can remove loose paint as well.

I've used Dawn detergent on my boat, mix of paint and bare metal, no ill effects, may have to use a scouring pad on the bare metal if its really grungy. makes the metal shine, but don't use it on the paint unless you want to remove the paint.

I just stop by the self serve car wash on the way home. Pre-soak, scrub brush, then rinse. Is completely dry by the time I get home. It's real easy to clean if you do it that way.

i let the lake water wash mine, as much as possible lol! i wash mine once or twice a year with any liquid soap on hand and a mitt and it works for me...

I generally use dish soap in a bucket w/ a rag, hose her down with the sprayer nozzle.

Sometimes I break out a nylon brush and simple green if it's really bad, but she rarely gets that dirty.

Palmer812 said:
I just stop by the self serve car wash on the way home. Pre-soak, scrub brush, then rinse. Is completely dry by the time I get home. It's real easy to clean if you do it that way.

Yup, unless you have a pressure washer at home.

Latest posts