riveting advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcat

Reaction score
My lowe roughneck 1760 has a factory installed aluminum floor, mounted on the cross supports with what look to be pop rivets.
Last year they started coming loose. I tried to replace this with ss metal screws but only short term success.
I'm thinking I need to drill some new holes and put in new rivets. The challenge. I don't know jack about rivets.
The ones used by the factory seem to be just 1/8 pop rivets. Should I use the next biggest size ? Will I need to glue anything ?
Of the entire floor only the last foot is having problems. This generates a lot of popping and snapping as the floor flexes. Making me crazy.
Help John

Can you tell how thick the 2 pieces of metal you need to fasten together, are they about 1/16" each or a little thicker?

These are some of the strongest rivets you can buy:
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

Closed end blind (pop) rivets.

I recommend using the 3/16" diameter dome head and just drill out your existing holes if you can.

The ones you need are PR62AAPH for a combined thickness of metals 1/8" or less and PR64AAPH for metals 1/8"-1/4" combined thickness.

These rivets arent readily available unless you have a Fastenal store or similar around you. I just order mine from Jay Cees they have good service and quick shipping.

Latest posts