Weld-in Drain Plug Bung?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogman Ladue

Reaction score
Weld-in Drain Plug Bung?

Is there such thing as a weld-in drain plug bung, or a prefab, add-on, aluminum bung? I don't have a plug in my tinny. It's going to the welder this week. I figured I'd add a plug while it is there.

Typically, aluminum tubing with a 7/8" or 1" inside diameter is used, a hole is drilled with the tubing placed in the hole, and then welded in place.

On both my jetboat and my 16 foot Triton, I did away with the internal factory plug, and installed the screw in plastic transom plugs, as it's such a PITA to get to the plug from the inside with either one of these boats.

I don't have the typical bung 'n plug on my boat, instead I have one of these and really like it:
https://www.marine-products.com/th-marine-drain-plug-complete-black-nylon-dp-1-dp.html

The plug stays at the hole when draining so you never lose or have to search for that dang plug.

Yep, that's exactly what I have on my boats. I used RTV ultra black sealant around the assembly, installed it into the plug hole, and tightened the screws.

True, having it on the outside of the transom doesn't allow me to pull the plug while going down the river to drain water from the boat....but like I said, space in the bilges of my boats is so cramped, you can't hardly get a hand in there to pull the plug anyhow.

Latest posts