what year is this motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
Guy is selling an evinrude 6hp motor, just the size I am looking for. What year might it be? Was this a good year for 6hp evinrudes? Need to check compression, says it has not been run in a few years. Is this a 50 to 1 ratio motor?
Tim

Attachments

• 6hp.jpg
    6hp.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 485
earl60446 said:
Guy is selling an evinrude 6hp motor, just the size I am looking for. What year might it be? Was this a good year for 6hp evinrudes? Need to check compression, says it has not been run in a few years. Is this a 50 to 1 ratio motor?

early 80's give me the model number off the tag on the stern bracket and i can tell you for sure
Tim

I just sold a similar motor. Mine was a 1969 6hp. Here is a picture of the one I sold.

IMG_1160.jpg

It is a 50:1 ratio. A very simple, easy to work on motor that is easy to find parts for. I really liked mine.

Big Show said:
It looks like a '75.

100% correct, dont know what i was thinkin lol! 1975 model#15504-05

pull the cover and on the strb. side there should be the # above stamped on a circular peice on the motor, if not there somewhere on the motor or stern bracket...id like to have my hands on that lil motor..sweet!

I don't have any of the serial or model number stuff, just saw it for sale. I'm glad it is 50 to 1, I don't think it comes with a tank but I might be able to hook it up to my 48hp johnson tank which is also 50 to 1. Anybody else ever run 2 motors off of one tank? Might have to install a shutoff valve or two, gotta think about it. In any case, thanks to all for the info you provided. It is a little rough looking compared to soggy's motor photo.
Tim

earl60446 said:
I don't have any of the serial or model number stuff, just saw it for sale. I'm glad it is 50 to 1, I don't think it comes with a tank but I might be able to hook it up to my 48hp johnson tank which is also 50 to 1. Anybody else ever run 2 motors off of one tank? Might have to install a shutoff valve or two, gotta think about it. In any case, thanks to all for the info you provided. It is a little rough looking compared to soggy's motor photo.
Tim

those motors were built to last! trust me, is it has good compression and good price and it starts right up id snag it. and yes you can run both motors off that tank. dont need any shut off valves that fuel line on that tank will hook up to either motor, im almost 99.9%sure lots of guys run 2 motors off one tank, shut one off unplug the fuel line and plug it in the other. i would run both those motors a bit on the rich side as i would with any 2 stroke outboard to prolong its life, sure you might foul the plugs a lil sooner but plugs are cheap, new powerheads are not....and that motor will clean up like a shiny penny with a bit of elbow grease...