Recycle those parts!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
This may work for some, so I thought I'd share. Years ago I was away from home and the controls on my Minn Kota 55 Endura were on the fritz. With no way to get it fixed, I broke down and bought another trolling motor, exactly like it. My original plan was to fix the first and save it for a back up or put it on another boat. After some thought and pricing replacement parts for the gimpy one, I decided to use it for parts. The prop, nut, and pin are onboard as spares. Yesterday, I replaced the spring loaded tension control after mine went bad. If I need it, I have a motor, composite shaft, mount, etc. instead of doling out big bucks for a part here and there.

The downside is becoming a pack rat! I have spare parts from cars long gone, but being a pack rat, I may need them someday! :shock:

I have spare lawn mower engines at my GF's and my son's house too! My condo patio is littered with spare boat parts.

You know the feeling, right after you throw something out (or sell it) you'll need it. It never fails.

Packrat is the old word for doing such things. The new word is hoarder and apparently, if done to extremes, hoarding can become an obsessive disease. You guys should sell those used parts so someone can use them and when you need a part, you'll have cash to buy one. :LOL2:

Little bit of a pack rat, but not enough to get a tv show. And yes, if you trash it, you're gonna need it in a couple of weeks.

The formula is: GT=N(w²)

I don't think Einstein thought of researching this.......

Back to the top:

Last trip out, I dragged my TM through a riffle and the unit hit hard. After the hit, every time I hit the throttle WAO, the shaft would kick up. I looked today, and there is a T-paddle thing that is spring loaded in the bracket that had a corner chunk missing. Went to the shop where a dirty old motor was propped in the corner. Took the ******* part and installed it on the TM. Works like a charm. Looked the part up online, $0.79, shipping $6.99, having the part on hand, PRICELESS!

Sometimes life just make you get rid of stuff, even good stuff. Recently moved from a house with a barn to a house the same size but NO barn...what a shock. Before I moved, I had a garage sale, gave to charitable causes, gave stuff away free, paid to move the rest to the new place, THEN took it to the dump. Don't know how I am going survive without all those unsorted nails, screws, nuts and bolts, etc. But now they grace someone else's garage AND I can get two cars and a boat into a 3 care garage with room to spare. I must be getting old.