How would you fix this? (Updated with Pics of repair)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pan Fisherman

Reaction score
I have to figure out a way to remount the windshield on a boat I picked up yesterday.

What would you do with this?

Cockpit Details 008.JPG

Thanks!
John

Attachments

• Cockpit Details 010.JPG
    Cockpit Details 010.JPG
    713.8 KB · Views: 733
Frogman Ladue said:
a.) Fiberglass repair kit from an auto parts store.

Best way. Be aware, fiberglass AIN'T fun to work with if you have never done it before. Bothers some people more than others. If you're a body man and work on Vettes, piece of cake.

glass isnt bad to work with but be ready to start applying it as soon as you mix the hardener in. wear gloves and a mask if you are in an enclosed area. glass is great once you figure out how to get bubbles out and figure out how long before it starts to setup.

Fiberglass repair kit is a good option, another option is Loc-tite marine epoxy and if you get the 15 minute formula it will be just about the same color as that console top.

Put a piece of duct tape on the back side and work the epoxy into the hole. Work quickly, the epoxy will be a bit runny at first but will start to set-up quickly as you work it. Sand when epoxy is cured and redrill the holes and remount the windshield.

John? are those original mounting holes that got pulled through?

If you are not trying to restore to perfection, might be simpler to just take some vinyl and cut it to size and run it the length of the base, then add the washers underneath in the spots it pulled through.

Fiberglass is not hard, but it is messy. Just covering it totally so that no repair is visible might be simpler and easier.

Best wishes.

Kismet said:
John? are those original mounting holes that got pulled through?

If you are not trying to restore to perfection, might be simpler to just take some vinyl and cut it to size and run it the length of the base, then add the washers underneath in the spots it pulled through.

Fiberglass is not hard, but it is messy. Just covering it totally so that no repair is visible might be simpler and easier.

Best wishes.
Yes,

Those are original mounting holes that were pulled through. Thanks for the simple fix suggestion. I will give that a try.

Thanks to everyone for all of your responses!

John

I went with the suggestion of large washers and it made the repair quite easy. Thanks again for all the suggestions!!!

Here are the final results....

John

Attachments

• update 001.JPG
    update 001.JPG
    697.8 KB · Views: 166
  • update 004.JPG
    update 004.JPG
    671.8 KB · Views: 166

Latest posts