Livewell question help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmer812

Reaction score
I searched on here but couldn't find an answer. I appreciate any help. I have a Polar Kraft MV1468 with the factory livewell in the center seat. It only has a drain in the bottom. I want to use it for bait only. I want to do so without adding any holes if possible. Here is my question. I hope I can explain it. I was looking at this pump.imagesCADVELAD.jpg It has a second inlet/outlet on the side before the pump. I was wondering if this would work. Fed the inlet tube through the existing drain hole and seal it off. Put a ball valve on that second opening before the pump. Then run a hose up from the pump with a spray bar to aerate. With the ball vavle closed it would pump fresh water from the lake and fill up the livewell. When the water level gets to where I want it I will open the ball vave at the bottom and leave the pump running. Since the water in the livewell is above the waterline will it pull water in through the ball valve in the bottom and recirculate or will it pull from the lake and overflow???? I know when I need fresh water I can turn off the pump and open the ball valve. The water level in the livewell will drain out down to the waterlevel outside the boat which is roughly 4-5 inches. Then I can close the valve and turn the pump back on and refill. I hope someone understands. thanks!

If I am understanding right if using the existing drain would not the pump be in the bait well? is it submersible? if so I think it would work.
My factory bait well has separate pump pulling water out of lower side and recirculates water thru a pipe with disperser spraying water on top.

That 2nd i/o could be used that way in my opinion. When the livewell gets filled and starts flowing into that 2nd i/o you would undoubtedly be recirculating at least some of the water back to the livewell but at least it would be aerating and you would probably get some fresh water too.

But what if you turn the livewell on and forget to open the the valve? Livewell overflowing and sinking boat.

The answer is Why do you even need the valve on the 2nd i/o? I don't think you do. I assume you have a stand tube in the livewell with a drain hole and a full livewell hole. The 2nd i/o saves you the bother of drilling another hole in the boat for a drain. IMO

Tim

Wallijig said:
If I am understanding right if using the existing drain would not the pump be in the bait well? is it submersible? if so I think it would work.
My factory bait well has separate pump pulling water out of lower side and recirculates water thru a pipe with disperser spraying water on top.
I just assumed it was submersible. I just looked an can't find any info eiher way.

earl60446 said:
That 2nd i/o could be used that way in my opinion. When the livewell gets filled and starts flowing into that 2nd i/o you would undoubtedly be recirculating at least some of the water back to the livewell but at least it would be aerating and you would probably get some fresh water too.

But what if you turn the livewell on and forget to open the the valve? Livewell overflowing and sinking boat.

The answer is Why do you even need the valve on the 2nd i/o? I don't think you do. I assume you have a stand tube in the livewell with a drain hole and a full livewell hole. The 2nd i/o saves you the bother of drilling another hole in the boat for a drain. IMO

Tim
Not worried about sinking boat. I would catch it in plenty of time and I have a bail bucket. I only have one hole in the livewell with a rubber plug. Nothing else. Thanks to both of you BTW! I have been brainstorming but it is good to run it by others.

Latest posts