Choosing a boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooah212002

Reaction score
Short intro: I fished a lot when I was younger, before joining the military. But shortly after joining (almost 11 years ago), all my fishing tackle was lost in a fire and it pretty much killed my enthusiasm and only recently gotten back into it thanks to my dad. I/we have never owned a boat, but since we started again we decided that being land locked is NOT the way to be and since we both work and are older, we decided to get something, ANYTHING to get us on the water.

That's how I found this forum (well, through Bassresource.com anyways). I have found a number of decent boats on CL, as I'm sure most all of you have as well. What I am insure of is how large of a boat will we need? It will be myself (6' 250) and my dad (6' 190) and either one or both of my young boys (5 and 8, both skinny). I realize size wise, all four at the same time on a 14/16 footer is pushing it, so it would probably be only 3 at a time.

Is 14' going to plain be too short? Should I really aim for a 16 or even 18 foot?

I've a lot more questions, but I'll limit this post to this relatively small topic.

Oh, and another thing: all your guys' boats look GREAT!

I think a deep wide 16' semi-v is one of the more versatile boats out there. 14' is OK for 2 people on small water, but deeper wider 16' makes a world of difference. Ideally with a flat floor and front deck. If you want to save money you can get by with a smaller/older motor for now and then upgrade easily.

Bigger is better and a lot more stable on large bodies of water.

My GF and I have just the right amount of space on our 14 foot Gregor after loading the "required" stuff.

We are actually going to look at a "new" project this coming week for deep water fishing trips.

Have fun, but most importantly, be safe!

donmac said:
I think a deep wide 16' semi-v is one of the more versatile boats out there. 14' is OK for 2 people on small water, but deeper wider 16' makes a world of difference. Ideally with a flat floor and front deck. If you want to save money you can get by with a smaller/older motor for now and then upgrade easily.

How well do those 16' V's fare in shallow-ish rivers? Or does that depend on weight?

For 90% of your fishing, a 14 will be perfect.

I'm in Wisconsin, and there are a TON of Craig's list 14's being listed now. Some guy up around the Dells was selling what looked like a resort fleet of 14s Alumacraft for $125 a piece last week.

Good time to shop carefully, then buy. The heat and lack of rain has a lot of boats on the market.

A high-side, "deep V" 14 is a big boat for most uses. Your kids will get bigger, but I'd wait until they do to buy the much more expensive 16.

From my casual shopping over-view, a 16 most often runs $1000 more in the used market around here.

Best wishes, and welcome back to the water.

=D>

Hey Hooah...
was browsing Craig'slist today, saw this, thought of you.

My personal experience is that buying a rig that is complete is more cost-effective, especially if you consider your time and labor, than taking on a "project boat." Of course, I'm talent-impaired, so many other folks here could probably contradict me. Plus, rescuing an old boat is kind of satisfying for me.

Any way, this is out your way. I found it on Madison's CL.

Best wishes. :)

https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/3185154539.html

hooah212002 said:
How well do those 16' V's fare in shallow-ish rivers? Or does that depend on weight?

Yes, depends on weight and specific hull design (how much v). I like Lunds for semi-Vs. I once had a Lund WC-16 (basic hull with split rear bench) that weighed 300 pounds or so - pretty flat across the back and needed just inches of water. Another time I had a 16' Lund Angler Deluxe that had a full interior, console, decks, floors, storage, etc with a 75hp that was likely over a thousand pounds - that probably needed close to a foot since had a deeper V and was much heavier.

I think width is a bigger consideration than length is. A 14x56 would be much more stable and comfortable than a 16x36 would be. I would not consider anything under 48 inches myself. Also, with kids depth would be important. If I were you I would look for the widest 16 foot boat I could find. Flat bottom boats are are more stable (less tippy), but don't buck waves as easily so you get slammed on a windy day as it comes down off of a wave. The modified v's would cut a wave better than a regular jon, but they are generally newer models so they are a bit higher. I agree that buying the complete rig is more cost effective. It seems that the economy has finally hit the used boat market and prices have dropped in my area (western Kentucky) since the spring. I have seen some phenomenal deals just in the past few days. My advice is look at a LOT of boats, both new and used, to get an idea of what you want and then show around for the best price. Remember that a boat that seems wide and deep enough sitting on the trailer in a yard will somehow shrink when you get it out on the water. Take a tape measure with you when you go looking and take measurements and compare. I once read an article on buying a used boat where the guy suggested driving around looking for old boats that obviously haven't been moved in years then knocking on doors, seems like a pretty good idea to me, but look it over well before any cash is handed over. A minor leak, rotted transom, or a dent here or there should not disqualify it and can be used to knock some off the price.
Good luck to you man. Jon boats are the perfect fishing and hunting boat. Light, cheap and they can take a beating.
Chris

These guys have all given great advance. For 4 people I would say a 14 would work but a 16 or 18 would your best bet to be comfortable and to also have enough room for yalls gear. I fish with 3 people from a 14 foot flat bottom every year and we are always saying we wish we could get a bigger boat where we wish. We also have a 16 foot tracker that I troll for crappie with and I have a 1648 tracker grizzly(i wish mostly alone in that) and in both of those with 3 people we are very comfortable although 4 would again be pushing it. It can be done thats for sure but itll be hard to get everyone fishing at once.

I would look at a 16,17 or even a 18 foot mod v. Deep v's are nice as everyone else has stated and I used to fish from one but I just fell in love with flat bottoms. When I went looking for a boat on craigslist I decided a mod v would be the thing I would really like. Just so happened to find a 1648 grizzly for a steal so I got it.

Look for a bass tracker or g3 or some boat similar to a bass tracker in the above sizes and an appropriate motor for it and you should be good. You can't beat a flat bottom for getting shallow but it will knock your teeth out if you are hitting chop. That is why I went with a mod v. The best of both worlds. Try to keep it light as you can so you can put more gear and people inside.

I think a 16 with a 40-50 hp would be good or a 17 with the same or an 18 with a 50 or 75 hp would do the trick. I pieced my boat together but only because I wanted a tiller that was atleast a 40hp and those are hard to come by or else I would have gotten a fully rigged tracker.

Look at the wood in the transom and put your weight on the decks to make sure the wood hasn't gotten rotten. Don't be afraid to jump on the deck because if your looking at it you want to make sure you get what you want and not something with alot of work. Make sure you do not see any serious holes, gashes or broken parts. Make sure the guy starts the motor for you as well.

As for the width as chrispbrown27 stated the width is a big thing to look at. A 16x36 is a boat that will be tippy but many people use them in the swamps on mud motors. Although you don't need this. I would not go with anything less than 48 inch bottom width. A 52 or 56 would be better. You can even get 18x60s as well. Those are tanks and are really stable! You can have 4 people bow fishing off the bow.

Just take your time looking and don't jump on the first boat(unless its everything you want) and also talk the guy down. Everyone is willing to give up some profit for instant cash. I sell boats on my free time and I don't mind people lowering my offer as long as it is not an insult. Have money on hand just incase you see that boat you dreamed of. Also don't be afraid to drive a little distance for a boat. Just make sure you call the seller first and discuss it some.

I looked on craigslist last year for a boat motor(my 40hp tiller) and saw a guy selling a boat with the tiller on it. I didn't need the boat but wanted the motor. He said it wouldn't crank. I called and talk to him and told him I would leave now to come look at it(he said he had offers already and he was 3 hours away). I grabbed my money and my truck and off I went. 3 hours later I got to the boat which was a 1648 flat bottom with the 40 hp tiller on it. He originally wanted 750 for it and after I inspected that the motor wasn't locked up and the boat was sound I asked if he would take any less since I just drove so far and had to drive back. He ended up letting me have the boat for 450 bucks. Had the cash read and off I went. I sold the boat the next day for 500 and kept the motor. So just be ready for that good offer and sometimes driving a little will make the seller drop the prices more.

Good luck and don't be afriad to ask anyone here any questions you may have. Even the guys that have 10 boat builds still ask questions. Welcome to a great site!

$450 for a 1648 with a 40 horse tiller?.....you sir should be arrested for stealing that boat! Wanna come to Kentucky to do some negotiating for me?
Chris

Chris thats funny. Yeah the guy just wanted the cash and to get it out of his yard because he had something bigger coming he said. It was a pretty nice boat actually. It was a 1989 or something and had a full open hull flat bottom. Its originally what I wanted before I got my grizzly. I turn boats over as a side thing during the school year for some quick cash. Its pretty fun actually. He said the tiller wouldn't turn over on a battery so I took a shot in the dark. Just needed a starter and soleniod thats all.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread

I'll echo what a lot of the guys on here told me when I asked a similar question as yours. Go as big as you can afford. I was orginally planning on a 14' simply because of the local prices I was seeing. I was patient and ended up coming across a CL add that simply said "16' jon boat and trailer", no pictures. Usualy I ignore these types of adds because they end up being junk. I checked it out anyway and ended up getting a great deal on one of the nicer boats I had come across in that price range. Ended up with a 1648 when I was ready to settle on a 1436 for probably more than I paid for the 16 footer. So if your surfing craigslist don't be afraid to at least shoot an email to an add, even if it seems like a crappy add. Some people either aren't as internet savy when posting adds on craigslist, or are in a hurry. Just because the add doesn't have a ton of pictures and detailed information, it could still end up being a good deal. I'm 6'8" 250lbs. and am more than happy I ended up going bigger. So, like I said go as big as you can afford, I don't think you'll ever end up saying "man, I wish I had gotten a smaller boat".

As far as what you get, it really depends on budget and how quickly you want to get on the water. In the long run a fully loaded ready to fish boat will be cheaper and get you on the water quicker than a project boat. I went with a project. I didn't have a few grand to drop on the spot, and was ok with working on my boat for a few months to get exactly what I want. Being able to throw money at a boat to re-do a transom this week, paint next month, install decking and flooring the following month, etc. is easier for me because I'm not coming up with that wad of $ all at once. Ends up being more expensive but by stretching out the expenses over several months it's easier on my wallet and most importantly, my marriage :shock:

Kismet said:
Hey Hooah...
was browsing Craig'slist today, saw this, thought of you.

My personal experience is that buying a rig that is complete is more cost-effective, especially if you consider your time and labor, than taking on a "project boat." Of course, I'm talent-impaired, so many other folks here could probably contradict me. Plus, rescuing an old boat is kind of satisfying for me.

Any way, this is out your way. I found it on Madison's CL.

Best wishes. :)

https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/3185154539.html

Oh wow. That sounds PERFECT. Thank you. Now, to come up with $1000..... How long can wives go without food???

BigTerp said:
Go as big as you can afford.

That's what I would like to do, but it causes somewhat of a problem, especially when shopping on CL. I live in Wisconsin, my dad in IL. He has the truck and garage, I have a car and live in an apartment. Most likely, I will be the one buying the boat because he has he can't afford it. It seems as though it will be easier if I purchase and register in IL because IL is far more strict on boat registration. In WI, I don't have to have a title as long as it's under 16': registration is fine. BUT, if I take that same boat to IL (in the event I register in WI), the IL DNR might have a hayday with me. This is almost precisely why I am asking, because I want to see if I can get away with a 14 footer for registration purposes AND they're cheaper.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

hooah212002 said:
BigTerp said:
Go as big as you can afford.

That's what I would like to do, but it causes somewhat of a problem, especially when shopping on CL. I live in Wisconsin, my dad in IL. He has the truck and garage, I have a car and live in an apartment. Most likely, I will be the one buying the boat because he has he can't afford it. It seems as though it will be easier if I purchase and register in IL because IL is far more strict on boat registration. In WI, I don't have to have a title as long as it's under 16': registration is fine. BUT, if I take that same boat to IL (in the event I register in WI), the IL DNR might have a hayday with me. This is almost precisely why I am asking, because I want to see if I can get away with a 14 footer for registration purposes AND they're cheaper.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Nah, you can register where you live and you do not have to worry about other states titles, license, registrations. You do have to keep up on another states safety equipment and operating rules though. I think IL and WI is about the same in that regard.
Life preserver, fire extinguisher, battery box, proper fuel tank, heed by the capacity plate, navigation lights at night. Stuff you better do anyhow if you want to stay out of the darwin competition.
Tim

Nah, you can register where you live and you do not have to worry about other states titles, license, registrations. You do have to keep up on another states safety equipment and operating rules though. I think IL and WI is about the same in that regard.
Life preserver, fire extinguisher, battery box, proper fuel tank, heed by the capacity plate, navigation lights at night. Stuff you better do anyhow if you want to stay out of the darwin competition.
Tim

what he ^ said.

:)

Call the guy, maybe he'll work a deal. He wants to sell.

best wishes.

earl60446 said:
Nah, you can register where you live and you do not have to worry about other states titles, license, registrations.

Thanks. How do they check where the boat is stored, as that is where you should register it, right? Or is that more of an integrity thing? I ask that because for now, it will more than likely stay at my dads house.

Registration is for the boat's owner. Where he lives, the boat is registered. Stored at your Dad's is a non-issue, I believe.

As for checking, doubt that any such goes on except when a boater might be stopped on the water for potential violations.

You are over-thinking this. :)

Have fun.

If you are looking in Illinois you are in luck! I am originally from Southern Illinois and keep an eye on the CR ads up there. Right now there are many many boats that would be great for you and many are less than a grand.
https://decatur.craigslist.org/boa/3168311393.html ...this one looks a bit narrow to me
https://chambana.craigslist.org/boa/3172912216.html
https://lasalle.craigslist.org/boa/3182643244.html
https://lasalle.craigslist.org/boa/3178710514.html
https://mattoon.craigslist.org/boa/3188287181.html
https://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/3187431263.html
https://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/3186948372.html
https://rockford.craigslist.org/boa/3188000789.html
https://rockford.craigslist.org/boa/3185697409.html
https://carbondale.craigslist.org/boa/3187942845.html
https://carbondale.craigslist.org/boa/3182330665.html
Most of those are under a grand with one or two at a grand or slightly over. Based on the pictures I would not hesitate to take my daughter out in any of these boats. I am assuming your Dad is in northern Illinois (and I feel sorry for him for that, ha ha) Check Iowa CR, those guys seem to know how to own a jon boat!
Good luck.
Chris

Latest posts