Boat Steering

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
sooutlandis

Boat Steering

Post by sooutlandis »

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on steering positioning. I have a late 50's 13ft alluminum that Im putting a flipping deck on the front and back. Bow mount troller, 25hp evinrude on the back. I calculated my center of gravity being a little under 4ft from the transom. Should I place my steering console there? Also is R&P better than Rotary? Any and all advice is much appreciated. I will be posting pics of the entire project later.

Thank you all
Attachments
Pa's Boat.jpg

sooutlandis

Boat Steering

Post by sooutlandis »

Am I asking stupid questions???

nomowork

Boat Steering

Post by nomowork »

I guess a lot would depend on your weight, engine weight, gas tank, equiptment, battery, etc.

Personally , I took out the steering console and cables to go to a tiller control as we fish with two people all the time so wanted more floor space. My original steering console was next to the center bench.
HAPPILY UNEMPLOYED

sooutlandis

Boat Steering

Post by sooutlandis »

Thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking of putting the steering console where the center bench was, and builing my front deck to that. Do you think rotary is better than a rack and pinion? This is my first boat overhaul, and all the components and accesories are things im learning about.