New Member, New(to me) 14' Starcraft with ID needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklett

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I am from NJ and have been involved with boats and fishing for a good part of my life. I have made a few wooden boats but this is my first aluminum one. I plan on cleaning it up(new paint) and replacing the wood with possibly some minor mods come winter. All that I know about it is that it is a 14' Starcraft from 1979. At some point the transom board was replaced and the capacity tag was lost so it only has a state issued HIN. I don't know the model or weight/HP limits of it so I have to find that out somehow so I can have a new tag made up. Is there anywhere that I could find out what I have? (BTW, that is my brother in law, not me in the pictures)

Attachments

• 2012-07-29_19-06-21_414.jpg
    2012-07-29_19-06-21_414.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 701
  • 2012-07-29_19-06-44_433.jpg
    2012-07-29_19-06-44_433.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 701
Just a note, I have put in a temporary plywood seat where the one was removed so the hull would be properly supported.

If you want to, for about 30 bucks, Starcraft will send you one for your particular boat. 1-866-772-4538 and tell them you want a capacity plate. I have heard that you can make your own, but you need to know the "real" capacity for your boat, maybe by searching for a old Starcraft brochure from 1979 with the capacity specs for your boat, or someone that has the "same" boat.
I have a 1965 Starcraft 14' tinny like yours but not the "same" as yours. See attached for my capacity plate...

Attachments

• capacity.JPG
    capacity.JPG
    822.6 KB · Views: 670
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have done a bunch of looking around and it appears to be a super star(everything I've seen matches mine except for the years), but does that sound right? I want to call Starcraft for a capacity tag and I want to be sure I am asking for the right thing. I guess that since it was given a homemade HIN I could always figure the tag out myself and have one made but I would really like to know what I have. BTW, what's left of the logo on the side is in italics with an arrow going through it if that helps.

Might find some info here---> https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=484566
or here---> https://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Good luck...

Thanks, the first link confirmed it for me. That boat is identical to mine so I am pretty sure that 1979 is when it was re-numbered. I will be sure to post a thread when I start to fix her up.

wow, i have just about the same story as you, also in NJ with that same approximate model starcraft boat, no capacity plate, and a state issued HIN, except mine was renumbered in 1980.

Latest posts