My new boat! 17.5 Sea Nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f4imatt

Reaction score
Been a lurker here and have rebuilt one boat with some guidance from this site. Lots of great info and knowledgeable members.

I just picked her up last weekend and have since pulled the entire floor, most of the transom, and the casting deck/livewells. I have made the decision to get rid of the dual livewells and build one that will be much better for keeping live shad. That and a small anchor box will be the only openings in the casting deck. I am hoping to get a good start on putting the transom and floor back in by the end of the weekend. I am pretty sure Ill be running a 70hp johnson on her, not sure what ill do for a troller just yet.

I have a couple of questions if I may. I am wondering if you can take out the drains from the splashwell without destroying them and/or how you would go about installing new ones. On the floor and transom I plan to use untreated exterior ply with 3-4 coats of spar. The floor will then get a couple coats of antiskid paint. Floors will be 1/2" and transom 2-3/4 laminated and on the ends where the tie downs are I will add a layer of 1/2 there(how it was from factory I assume). Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance! The first couple of pics are my last boat.
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG

Here is the new project.
293250_3697155261443_1401403487_n.jpg
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG

I am super excited to get started putting stuff back together!

Thanks Tim, I think it will be just about perfect for my intended use, catching monster catfish! After almost 2 full days of drilling, prying foam, and vacuuming, I finally got the old transom (which was mostly just dirt lol) out of the way. Gonna give the transom area a good cleaning and start making a template for the new transom.

Can anyone tell me where to find the drain tubes for the splashwell and the proper way of installing them?
IMG_0117.JPG

These are the only aftermarket ones I have seen. I don't know where they get the OEM ones. Good luck on your project!!!!

https://www.thmarine.com/products/Aeration-and-Plumbing/Drain-Fittings/Splashwell-Drains

gillhunter said:
These are the only aftermarket ones I have seen. I don't know where they get the OEM ones. Good luck on your project!!!!

https://www.thmarine.com/products/Aeration-and-Plumbing/Drain-Fittings/Splashwell-Drains

Exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!

Getting ready to get the transom the rest of the way finished up, I did get the first 2 3/4" peices laminated and Im picking up a sheet of 1/2 tomorrow for the last layer. I also got the bow plate cut with a first coat of spar on the sides and top. One more question. I have seen some say to spar both sides of decking/floor. Should I do both sides or leave the bottom open to breathe?

Tonight I finished laminating the last 1/2" on to the transom. I added a second coat of spar to the bow plate and a light first coat on the front and back of the transom. I left the sides unfinished to allow the glue to finish drying. Starting on the floor and should have some more pics up tomorrow.

I also have an idea for the floor. I like the look of the plywood with high gloss spar and would like to keep that look on the floor. Have any of you guys used this stuff? https://www.seal-krete.com/gatorhide.htm Thinking one coat of spar, 1-2 coats with seal krete, and one last coat of just spar. Would this work?

Ready for some spar(which I do have done now). I hope to have the bow and transom all back together tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 559
Bow and transom are both pretty much finished other than a few rivets and bolts. I also got the front section of the floor and the console bases back in place. I gave the consoles a coat of bedliner and a couple of coats of paint. I got all of the dash cracks repaired and I just need to texture them and dye them back to a med blue. Dashes, floor, and home made rod rack coming soon!! I cant wait to get some catfish slime in her!

Attachments

• Splashwell.jpg
    Splashwell.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 458
  • Front section of floor back in.jpg
    Front section of floor back in.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Consoles in and rear deck support.jpg
    Consoles in and rear deck support.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 458

Latest posts