Transom Material Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotco2

Reaction score
I just picked up an old 16' Fisher aluminum jon boat that is getting a face lift.

The transom wood was completely rotted away when I got it. This boat has an aluminum plate that covers the inside of the transom as well as a small piece of wood that attaches to the outside of the back of the boat that the motor sits against.

I'm having the transom rewelded at a friends shop. I have used 1/2" ABX plywood before that I got from a building supplier that has recently gone out of business. Everywhere that I have checked in the past few days just look at me like I've lost my mind when I mention AB exterior grade that is not treated.

In the past we just used ABX with 4 coats of spar and installed it with stainless hardware.

Now that I can not find it, what can I use that will actually last and not delaminate? Also the original transom required a piece of hardwood that was 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x40" across the bottom. I can not find anything longer than 36" without laminating a bunch of pieces together.

Anybody know something I can get semi local to the Atlanta area or order off the net?

Transom boards are 12"x40" and a total of 1" thick (would usually use 2 pieces of 1/2").

Transom should look like this without the extra large piece of aluminum

DSC00199.jpg

pic stolen from JMichael

Use 1/2" MDO plywood, it's even better than the ABX. It's used for making outdoor signs and in concrete form construction, and it even used by wooden boat builders for hull material.

It's about 1/2 the price of marine grade plywood.

Since you're going to laminate the 2 pieces of 1/2" together for the transom, go ahead and laminate 3 pieces together for your hardwood piece too.

I'm working on replacing my transom as well. Mine is 1-1/4" thick. Try finding 5/8" marine plywood :x . What I was able to find, relatively easy, was AC exterior grade fur, un-treated. I found this at the first local lumber company I called. I'd imagine you'd have several in your area. Google lumber yard or something similar, and you should be able to find what you need within a few calls. Also, epoxy resin or fiberglass will make that transom last longer than spar urethane will.

Just picked up a sheet of it.

I hope the boat comes back from the welder soon so I can get everything started.

Latest posts