Custom Built Big Tin Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Spent last evening speaking with a buddy about building an aluminum boat - he works for a local company that does nothing but extreme custom aluminum fabrication and design. You have probably seen some of their work if you have ever watched any of the bigger musical acts, Broadway shows or Las Vegas show - they design and custom build all the stages like the Claw for U2 or Madonna

Anyway, he has the skills and resources to do this

Anyone ever try this or know of some good plans. We are looking at something in the 26-30' range with twin outboards and a full cabin. I found these plans which might be a start:

https://www.boatdesigns.com/27-NorWester-trailerable-sportfish-cruiser/products/851/

Didn't look to to hard but pricing on designs of boats that size can get pretty high...
I wonder if you go on a site that someone has already built one and maybe you can get the designs cheaper 2cd hand..,

I am saving my nickles - I figure it will run around 30K just for the material then the motors at another 30

So far I have an anchor, LOL

You don't need plans pre made man just whip out the ruler, protractor, pencil, paper, and get to designing your own boat. You'll be in an elite group of very few who can say that they built their boat from design to completion.

Buddychrist said:
You don't need plans pre made man just whip out the ruler, protractor, pencil, paper, and get to designing your own boat. You'll be in an elite group of very few who can say that they built their boat from design to completion.

I might also be in elite group that can say they sank their boat 80 miles off the coast, HAR

Captain Ahab said:
Buddychrist said:

I might also be in elite group that can say they sank their boat 80 miles off the coast, HAR

You won't sink it if you've got the engineering skills on building man!

Think support braces and a lot more than standard just for safety.

Buddychrist said:
Captain Ahab said:
Buddychrist said:

You won't sink it if you've got the engineering skills on building man!

Think support braces and a lot more than standard just for safety.

How about stuff like weight to displacement rations and balance? I think I will stick with the guys who have nautical engineering degrees - especially since this might be a life or death thing

If I am gonna sink close to 100K into a boat I do not want it to look (and work) like crap

+1...
Lots of different styles to choice from to,Australian,west coast builds and of coarse east coast,to bad some of these builders wouldn't give up there plans.
I imagine your doing your homework,there some nice aluminum boats out there.

60k total thats a lot of fries lol

let me check my garage i might happen to have 30k worth of aluminum laying around god knows i have everything else in there

We are still looking for plans - gonna end up like this:

PB190195-600w.jpg

Did you try that other site,where you probably found them other plans from?
aluminumalloyboats....
The only plans I've found are alot pricier then what you've already found.
Locally,they don't even sell their plans,although I havn't contacted them in person..

Zum said:
Did you try that other site,where you probably found them other plans from?
aluminumalloyboats....
The only plans I've found are alot pricier then what you've already found.
Locally,they don't even sell their plans,although I havn't contacted them in person..

We have not tried any site yet. Still in the discussion phase of the project - maybe start looking for plans over the winter. Right now all my free time is taken up by fishing (not that this changes in the winter much LOL)

You can try these to sites if you want any more to look at for ideas.

https://scullysaluminumboats.com/

https://www.hankos.com/

These are two top quality boat builders in Louisiana.

Latest posts