Alumacraft Backtracker 17 Project Completed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backslider

Reaction score
Here are some photos of my boat project. As you can see in the photos, I removed the boxes and live well to get more space. I borrowed an idea I saw on this web site and reinforced the sides using aluminum "L" bar riveted to the gunnel and ribs, then used the exposed bars for rod holders. There is way less flex in the sides now than when it had the boxes in it--its real sturdy. I put in "D" ring tie downs on the deck and the sides. My wife and I plan on spending a few days putting down the Missouri River (below Ft. Benton) and I wanted a way to secure our dry bags, cooler, and other gear. Thanks to everyone who helped with the project!

Attachments

• Before side.jpg
    Before side.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 686
  • before interior.jpg
    before interior.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 686
  • front quarter.JPG
    front quarter.JPG
    620.1 KB · Views: 686
  • interior 2.JPG
    interior 2.JPG
    618.5 KB · Views: 686
  • pedestal 2.JPG
    pedestal 2.JPG
    625.3 KB · Views: 686
  • interior.JPG
    interior.JPG
    598.6 KB · Views: 686
I'm sort of over budget (according to my wife) so the extra pedestal seats will come next year. When I got the boat there was no seat mount in the stern, and the previous owner used a folding chair. I did the same last year and it worked OK. I'm definitely putting in an adjustable pedestal seat back there, it's just not in the cards this year.

If your wife is grouchy on budget, come up with some way to earn money on the side to pay for it. I do this with my boat project. That way, the normal budget isn't affected. I do what I want when I want to the boat and the wife is happy because the budget is normal. I buy and sell stuff from yard sales and estate sales. Buy an item cheap, clean it up, paint/stain/restore it and sell it for 80% of retail on craigslist or a forum where people have an interest in that type of thing, whatever it is.

Latest posts