jon boat bottom seam keeps cracking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckdoc

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Lowe Roughneck 17ft all welded jon boat that the two pieces that come together and forms the keel (bottom) keeps cracking. The seam is protected by a piece of angle iron. I am very careful with this boat and do not run it onto the beach or hit stumps or rocks. The boat does have a wooden floor with carpet. The lake can get rough from all the big boats. It cracked once and I had it fixed and now it has cracked again. Anybody else had this trouble with their boat? I dont want to use jb weld on it. I know people who have had jon boats forever and they seem to hold up very well. I called the company and they said to have someone weld all the way around the angle iron and completely seal it off. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. It is a nice boat and we have really enjoyed it. Thanks for the help!!

I live in the Atlanta area so if you know of a good welder for alumium boats please let me know

I think I would have someone weld it all up for sure. Any idea what is causing the cracking? Just wear and tear, bad mod idea, too big and ob?

Lots of Georgia jon boaters on here. What part of town are you in? I'm sure someone can recommend someone near you for welding.

Have you considered sealing with something like Gluvit?

Are you drilling holes at the ends of the crack? Do in so will stop the crack from getting longer.

I live in Marietta and I have not used anything to fix it by myself. Lake Lanier gets pretty rough, but I try to stay away or slow down over the bigger wakes. Any help with a good welder would be great. Thanks for the help

A picture would may help to.
Is it angle "iron" or aluminum that helps protect it.
I don't think I'd want iron attached to the hull of my aluminum boat.
I'd suggest getting it welded.

Lowe needs to step up to the plate and fix this for you. I have read many stories about new Stinger and Styker hulls having this problem. I am a huge Lowe fan and have owned several but am hesitant to buy a new one because of this problem. Do a little internet search and it will come up. I believe I read one on the board not long ago.

Lots of welded boats crack at the welds and not just Lowe, Trackers and the others do it too. This isn't something new or uncommon.

I'm sure there's plenty of places in Hotlanta that weld aluminum, check your yellow pages.

Bassboy1 is up in Cartersville and comes highly recomended as an aluminum welder and fabricator.

You can see some of his work in this build around page 14 or so

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6551

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Are you drilling holes at the ends of the crack? Do in so will stop the crack from getting longer.

+1 !!

This is very sound practice, to 'stop-drill' a crack, to prevent it from running, especially with aluminum, more so than with steel or other materials.

Latest posts