Skinny water beware!! Push Pole Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trob445

Reaction score
After much research and standing in the pluming aisle of Lowes, its complete. Outside of the funny looks from fully extending the 12' extension pole in the paint department and leaning on it to get a feel for the bend?? I'd say it was a quick and easy build. Was hoping to test it out tonight but we have storms scheduled throughout the afternoon and evening today. I will report back as to how it feels on the lake.

-12' paint extender
-a few pvc fittings - 1/2 and 3/4 if I remember correctly - Growing up in a plumbing family the shouldered 45 was new to me.. but should work great against the mud and rocks of Middle TN.
-teflon tape
-1 self tapping screw to set the pvc to the handle (T has threaded female end but it wasnt a true fit... used screw to reinforce).

$22.00

90eebd73.jpg

Storms passed and I was able to get my 14' mirrocraft on the water for her maden voyage. After rowing to some skinny water I grabbed the push pole, and by george it was perfect. Even with getting used to the boats stability from the front casting deck, and having my 7 yo and 5 yo in the boat with me, she pushed really well! I need to add caps to the sloped 45's, but other than that.. I'm very pleased. Tried it from the front deck as well as the floored area with equally good results. I feel like the boat tracked better from the back? But that is most likely user error.

Being able to collapse the pole is very convenien in a boat this size!

Is it sturdy? I get in situations where I am in thick mud and my current homemade one bends. Also do you plan on painting it? Great idea!

I didn't hit much mud last night. Mostly rock and packed bottom with lose gravel. Will have to report back on how it does in mud. As far as it being sturdy? It has a little "give" but I never felt like it was bending or softer than a push pole should feel. Granted this is the first thing even close to a push pole that I have used. i gave it a few good leans to get us tracking down the bank and it did well. This is with it fully extended to 12'.

To give some perspective - Some wind - Me and my 2 boys 350lbs + the boat and the push was decent.

Sounds good. I'm gonna have to try this. I like how you can shrink it and won't have a huge pole laying in the boat.

going to build one. with my 12' and a push pole i can hit any hole i want as long as there is 3 inches of water under me.

Latest posts