Deep dent with a small crack (read leak)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnriverluver

Reaction score
My new to me Alumicraft Angler has a small but deep dent in the bottom left corner of the transom like where someone backed into a rock. I found this this weekend after noticing water in the bilge after the boat had been sitting in the water for 6 hours. The crack is only about a quarter of an inch long in the center of the dent and this is in a very strong part of the transom being very near the corner so I doubt there is much flex there. What is the best semi permanent fix for this leak short of having it welded.

I like this stuff for those kind of fixes:

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_mrn_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Marine.htm

You can completely fill your dent and it'll squeeze into the crack as well. Full cure in 24 hrs., but will setup and cure underwater.

About $5 a tube.

I've never seen that particular epoxy before. Looks like it may be the ticket and I can even fill in the dent with it and just touch up the paint. I'll have to check around Wallyworld and AutoZone etc and see it I can find it locally.

No luck finding the Loctite locally but found Marine JBweld. Never had much luck in the past with JBweld products but will see how it works. I ordered some Locktite off Ebay just in case!

The Loc-tite marine epoxy is available at Home Depot in the adhesives section of the paint dept, it's in the same place in some of the Wal-marts too.

Latest posts