Title is wrong...no way this is a Coleman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help figuring out what type of boat this is. The title says its a 1987 Coleman but when I asked my boss who I purchased the boat from, he said its not a coleman and didnt know what kind it was. There are no markings on the boat at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

file.php

I removed the front and middle seats to build a casting deck.
7781515920_b4e2ca3e43.jpg

I know you said there are no markings, but double check the outside of the transom and you may fing the HIN pressed in there somewhere, should be upper right or left corner. If there is none, your boat is older than 1972 (or somewhere in there). I'd start there.

Ictalurus said:
I know you said there are no markings, but double check the outside of the transom and you may fing the HIN pressed in there somewhere, should be upper right or left corner. If there is none, your boat is older than 1972 (or somewhere in there). I'd start there.

I just finished stripping the outside and did not see a HIN stamped anywhere. It looked like there might have been a plate mounted on the inside of the transome at one point.

I would agree that it is pre 1972...just have no clue how to figure out what type.

Brandon said:
It looked like there might have been a plate mounted on the inside of the transome at one point.

I would agree that it is pre 1972...just have no clue how to figure out what type.

Probably capacity plate from the manufacturer, most like had model # too #-o

On the bright side, it is easier to title an older boat (at least in TN).

Ictalurus said:
Brandon said:
It looked like there might have been a plate mounted on the inside of the transome at one point.

Probably capacity plate from the manufacturer, most like had model # too #-o

On the bright side, it is easier to title an older boat (at least in TN).

I have a title for the boat. My boss didnt have one so that is the information that was used when the state issued the title....1987 Coleman 12'...has a HIN # and everything.

Loweman said:
Hey, you've got the boat and clear title; looks like you're in business! Enjoy the project and good luck! :)

X2! Just keep an eye out here for similar hulls.

Ictalurus said:
Loweman said:
Hey, you've got the boat and clear title; looks like you're in business! Enjoy the project and good luck! :)

X2! Just keep an eye out here for similar hulls.

I know I know :D Its just been killing me not knowing what year and make it is! I think I have been through every possible page and looked at everybodys hulls and no luck.

Loweman said:
From the looks of your skull XRay, let's call it a Deere? :p

Haha. Sounds good to me!

One more thing....notice that the bottom of the boat is semi flat (no ribs). I plan on decking from the middle support to the front with aluminum and am having a hard time firguring out how to run a support to the bottom of the boat since there are no ribs. Should the support just rest on the bottom or should it be bolted/riveted?

Attachments

• 7781515920_b4e2ca3e43.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 494
Brandon said:
Should the support just rest on the bottom or should it be bolted/riveted?

I'd rivet it to the top of the remainig seat base shown in the above pic.

Ictalurus said:
Brandon said:
Should the support just rest on the bottom or should it be bolted/riveted?

I'd rivet it to the top of the remainig seat base shown in the above pic.

I plan on riveting the aluminum to the remaining seat bases but dont know if i needed a middle aupport down to the bottom. I guess i will see how it feels

Brandon said:
Hey guys, I need some help figuring out what type of boat this is. The title says its a 1987 Coleman but when I asked my boss who I purchased the boat from, he said its not a coleman and didnt know what kind it was. There are no markings on the boat at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

file.php

Just an idea but when I started sanding my boat for new paint I found that it still had the original Gamefisher decals under about 10 coats of paint. I couldn't see them at first till I got down a few coats. It could always be worth a shot lightly sanding the area where a manufacture would usually put a logo, just be careful to not sand through the decal and totally miss it. Good luck!

Mike

I have a 1432 flat bottom and don't know the make. Supposedly it's a 1971 model and the closest I have come via photos is that it might be a Sears.

Mizzie said:
Brandon said:

file.php

Just an idea but when I started sanding my boat for new paint I found that it still had the original Gamefisher decals under about 10 coats of paint. I couldn't see them at first till I got down a few coats. It could always be worth a shot lightly sanding the area where a manufacture would usually put a logo, just be careful to not sand through the decal and totally miss it. Good luck!

Mike

I got her down to bare aluminum and nothing. Oh well

I believe coleman made aluminum boats back in the day, or at least put their name on them. Only seen Flat bottom's though.. I would just roll with the reg you have unless you want to have Marine police issue it a new HIN which in that case you could name the boat what ever you wanted. Did that with two of mine.. Always named them after myself. It was awkward selling them.. lol.

sixgun86 said:
I believe coleman made aluminum boats back in the day, or at least put their name on them. Only seen Flat bottom's though.. I would just roll with the reg you have unless you want to have Marine police issue it a new HIN which in that case you could name the boat what ever you wanted. Did that with two of mine.. Always named them after myself. It was awkward selling them.. lol.

Yeah every coleman ive seen was a flat bottom.

Latest posts