Hydro turf or carpet? Plywood on benches or not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trueblue1970

Reaction score
Im stuck and trying to decide what to do. One decision rolls into the other.

Should I put plywood on my bench seats or not? If I go with hydro turf should I glue it directly to the benches or the plywood? I will be mounting seats on the benches. My rear sweat with have a seat bracket allowing me to adjust seat back and forth sideways.

thanks

It kind of depends on the layout of the decking. My decking was at the height of the benches so I put plywood over the top and not down the inside. I think wood over the top is a much stronger mounting surface for pedistal plates. Sound like you're doing something different though.

Thanks guys. After stripping, priming and then painting the boat, I may prefer to put plywood on the benches. That means carpet on at least the benches. At least I can remove the plywood if I ever need to change things up and not scrape off the turf.

ckr74 said:
I think wood over the top is a much stronger mounting surface for pedistal plates.

I think this would be the biggest concern. I've yet to get that far in my build, but I'll be using aluminum sheet for decking/floor and plywood on top of my rear bench seat simply for the strength it will provide for a seat mount. You may want to also check out Grizzly Grip as an alternative to hydroturf. I compared the two price wise and got samples of both. I'll be going with the Grizzly Grip when the time comes.

https://www.grizzlygrip.com/

BigTerp said:
ckr74 said:
I think wood over the top is a much stronger mounting surface for pedistal plates.

I think this would be the biggest concern. I've yet to get that far in my build, but I'll be using aluminum sheet for decking/floor and plywood on top of my rear bench seat simply for the strength it will provide for a seat mount. You may want to also check out Grizzly Grip as an alternative to hydroturf. I compared the two price wise and got samples of both. I'll be going with the Grizzly Grip when the time comes.

https://www.grizzlygrip.com/

Thanks Big Terp. I will check out the link. Could the grizzly grip go on ply or is it better on the alum. sheet? Also, I check out your build and it is coming along nicely. That bracket on your rear bench is what I bought for my seat so I can slide back an forth. Are you keeping it? How does it work for you? thanks

trueblue1970 said:
Thanks Big Terp. I will check out the link. Could the grizzly grip go on ply or is it better on the alum. sheet? Also, I check out your build and it is coming along nicely. That bracket on your rear bench is what I bought for my seat so I can slide back an forth. Are you keeping it? How does it work for you? thanks

Thanks man. My build is getting there SLOWLY. It's a lot of tedious things right now and between that and finding the time to work on her, it seems to be dragging along.

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe the grizzly grip can be applied to plywood. After you treat with with your urethane, epoxy resin or whatever. You may want to shoot them a quick email to be sure though. I'd also be interested in the answer to that question. If your applying it to aluminum you'd want to use their primer that they sell first.

I already removed the seat bracket. I'm 6'8" and a bench level seat wouldn't be very comfortable for me. I'm planning on doing a short (maybe 6-9") pedestal mount on top of the rear bench. I know alot of guys on here have used that bracket and seem to like it.

Latest posts