Musing on a larger tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihil

Reaction score
Man I want a bigger tin.

I'm getting used to the looks when I head out from the launch into big water, but it would definitely be nice to not get wet in 2 footers or have to pick and chose the days because of high winds and rollers. I also don't like heading a few miles out unless it's calm which is counter productive to my style of fishing.

Ideally, my boat of choice right now would be a Lund Renegade 1650. All business, no fluff. Unfortunately, it's out of my budget for a good while.

Enter the bad idea -

In musing with a friend at work, I mentioned that while I wasn't a fan of his deep Sylvan due to it's weight and (IMO) unnecessary fluff it did offer the size and depth that I wanted. That got me thinking - a lot of folks on here like to take a basic platform and build up on it. Here's me, thinking about finding an old deep V and tearing it down to the bare minimum. This got me a cross eyed stare and a "what's wrong with you", but in my sick little head - it makes sense.

What say the masses of Tinboats?

I have been looking for a large old deep V tin for awhile to do this exact same thing to. It needs to be the right price though, and either have no motor or the correct motor I want on it, and no inboard styles. I am wanting 17' plus and ideally 18-19'. I often find myself on Lunds website drooling over the Pro V and even the Baron model :shock: , what a boat that is! But those are dreams because I will never be able to afford a tin like that :lol: . I almost bought a 19' spectrum 1906 this spring that needed a lot of work but the guy wanted far more than I was willing to give with a beat up Force motor on it. I still keep looking, for it will come some day.

I fish some big waters in my 14' tin and now that my kids are getting older I need the extra space and piece of mind on bigger water. So ya I think you got the right idea :D

Want to see the most awesome NO fluff tin boats..... look up Lake Assault boats. What beasts those tins are. The gauge aluminum they use is twice as thick as any other tin boat manufacturer I have seen, very well built boats. But again, out of my budget :cry:

Depending on what your wanting to do, tearing one down and building to your liking can end up being more expensive than buying a loaded boat from the start. Although while doing it yourself you not only get exactly want you want, but also the pride of an awesome DIY job. I'm working on a 1648 and will most likely end up putting more into it than if I bought one ready to go. But coming up with that kind of $ all at once is much harder than spreading it out over several months during a build, at least for me it is.

Nothing surprises me anymore on TinBoats when it comes to awesome mods. I've seen some amazing ideas and beautiful jobs. If you really want to do it, and have the time, money, and talent....then go for it! IF you can't dream and reach for the stars....then you might as well stay in bed.

Latest posts