how do i place my seats in my boat???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I laid down wood to mount my seats in my 12 ft jon boat. I put both the seats in the center. Is this wrong will it make the boat rock or uneven? I will post a picture please let me know it will mainly be me and my son on this boat and he weighs maybe 60 lbs and im only 180. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 475
beginnerfisherman81 said:
I laid down wood to mount my seats in my 12 ft jon boat. I put both the seats in the center. Is this wrong will it make the boat rock or uneven? I will post a picture please let me know it will mainly be me and my son on this boat and he weighs maybe 60 lbs and im only 180. Thanks for the help.

Nice boat! We had a 12' flat jon and the seats were mounted flat on the bench (on flat swivels). We had no problem at all and I weigh 210 and my son is about 110. It took us some getting used to because we have a larger 16' that 4 of us walk around on without a problem. The jon's and V hulls are def more tipsy, but you get your bearings. I was able to put ours in the pool to test it out so my son got the hang of it. We did this prior to the lake...didnt want to learn out there, we have gators here :) Not sure how yours will be due to the seats being on peds. There are a ton of guys on here with V hulls that will be able to let you know though.

Good luck and have fun. This is a great site with a ton of helpful folks on here....

Oh...on my 12' my rear seat was located in the middle as well. It wasnt so bad operating the motor but I would have liked it off center for more comfort (bad shoulders). With the 14' im working on now, I bought a slide bracket so I can slide my seat back across the middle if im going a distance without stopping.

Hey, I like your boat, nice work. You will find that a smaller hull is quite suseptible to changes in weight, weight distribution and changes in the center of gravity. You will have to test your specific setup(s) to find the best solution. I used swivel seats mounted to the the benches without peds. Since I like to sit to starboard to run the tiller, I mounted the aft seat to that side. The boat will tend to lean in that direction. So I used heavy items like anchors, battery and the gas can to offset the list. My second seat is mounted on the front bench in the center. This keeps the hull level and affords the driver a good view of the water ahead. I kept the middle bench open since I have under-bench storage, and to allow me to row whenever is like...which I enjoy. If you are ok with center-mounted seats, that will provide the best center of gravity. If speed is a consideration, seat location can have an impact on that as well. There are some pics in the link below showing how I placed my seats. Since you have the seats already moounted, I would take her out for a test run and have some fun.

Rick

I had a 12' Sea Nymph also, and like you, I mounted my seats in the middle. With over 500 lbs of me and my brother at the same time, the boat was very stable. The only time I noticed any real stability issues with mine, was when the front occupant stood up and moved around. With a 3.9 hp merc that little boat would plow along at 6mph whether it was just me or me and my brother.

734c0325.jpg

Latest posts