My $32 grab bar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock Crusher

Reaction score
I needed a grab bar for my boat since I run on a 11K acre lake that gets a little rough at times. I didn't want to spend the $$ on ones I have found on the net so I threw this one together for $32. I have not yet mounted it to the boat due to still having to put the flooring in the boat, but you get the idea. It's all constructed from 1" galvenixed pipe/fittings using two floor flanges to bolt to the floor. I will eventually paint it to match the boat.

74e0436c.jpg

Nice job. Bet it works every bit as well as one of the high dollar ones too. Where in the boat do you plan on mounting it?

I like it!

You might want to consider wrapping with foam or something because that thing is gonna be H O T sitting out in the sun all day on the water.

Awesome job Crusher! I love anything DIY. In addition to wrapping it in some rope/foam so it's not so hot, you may want to zap it with a couple coats of paint to stave off the rust for a while. Here are some pics of a grab bar I made out of PVC for about the same amount of money. I went with PVC b/c it matched the boat and ended up being lighter, but it's the same basic idea. Best of all I can remove the whole thing in about 5 min, if need be. Don't forget to post some pics once it's all installed and on the water. Here are some pics of my set up and a few other clever DIY solutions I've stumbled across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrsU-zhUWNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZMR97duw_Q&feature=related

Attachments

• Front 4.jpg
    Front 4.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 1,566
  • back rear 3.jpg
    back rear 3.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 1,566
  • PVC Grab Bar 1.jpg
    PVC Grab Bar 1.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 1,566
  • Beach Shot 3.jpg
    Beach Shot 3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,566
Very cool! I love pvc, you can make almost anything out of it for cheap. I am planning on doing a sort of bimini top that I figure will run me less than 45 bucks.

I've seen a lot of these built out of pvc and wrapped with fiberglass for reinforcement.

You can also heat pvc and bend it around so that it's more comfortable to use.

Latest posts