Jackplate questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot but as far as Jon boats I didn't find an answer exactly. I've been jumping back and forth between a manual jackplate or no jackplate. I have the materials to build one. So consider it a free jackplate.

I would add it to solve proposing, maybe a mile or two an hour gain, and ability to get into slightly skinnier water.

It would be about a 3-1/2 setback on a 1548 ModV. 25hp Johnson. My only concern is choppy water. I put my boat in 2foot swells somewhat often between fishing and duck hunting. Would tweaking the height of my motor for best performance hurt me in rough water? I would imagine that as long as im not trying to hull butt in chop I'd be ok but I wanted some opinions.

Also my motor is clamped on the transom. I would try a jackplate but I would have to drill holes in the transom and if I didn't like it I'd have to fill the holes which I'd rather not do if I could prevent it.

Trim or pin your motor down further in the water and that will stop porpoising, run it that way for a while and see if you like it before you run to drilling holes in your transom for a jack plate.

Adding some weight to the front also helps. But first drop your engine down a pin or two and see how it rides.

You will only lose 1-2mph going down with the engine and that isn't that big of a deal. It's a Jon not a jet ski! The jack plate really is made for much bigger boats with heavier engines, keep it simple and you'll have less problems.

I ran it trimmed in and felt like the nose was being pushed down and I didn't like it. I've been playing around some and I found that with the anti-cav plate being level with hull ran better but that's with an inch under the motor and worried about 'chicken-gripping' on the clamps.

So that's why I was planning to go to a jackplate for better height adjustment. I'm not getting into the weight talk. I know I can get it to stop porposing that way. So does anyone have anything to say about running a jackplate in chop? As far as cavitation, that is.

If it felt like it was being pushed down trimmed in then you went too far down. Trim it up until it Cavitates and then go down one pin

Latest posts