Electric Anchor Winch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartanAngler

Reaction score
New member here and I should start with a huge THANK YOU to this site, I have been stalking for the last week and it has changed my entire outlook on my project that I will be doing over the next couple of months. My first question is about anchor winches, I have a 16 ft Ouichita flat bottom that I will be setting up for salmon and steelhead fishing the rivers. I have looked at a lot of the builds on this site and haven't found anything on anchor winches. It is a must on the rivers here in Northern Michigan and I am looking for some cheaper alternatives to the $1000 winch systems. Does anyone have any cheaper alternatives out there, or some creative ways to mount in the front? I will start a build thread when I begin my project, but I am in the planning stages now. Thanks.

I'll be watching your thread too if you don't mind. I'm also in the market for a vertical shaft electric windlass for my newest project. My other two boats are "hand over hand" anchor retrieval (tin and an open bow glass) but my newest project is a cuddy cabin glass with an anchor roller in the front.

Don't know exactly what you're looking to use, but a minn kota deckhand 40 should meet your needs. We use them, and they seem to work fine.
Look at the pontoon version, it has a quick detach base and remote switch. About $350 list, but can be bought for less.
Just looked at Buy cheaper.com-Water Wedgie-$269.99 and free shipping. ????

Were you looking for something like this? I went steelhead fishing with a guy years ago in Michigan that had a homemade system like this on an 18' center console Mod V. He had cable on his and a a bunch of 3' lengths of chain cabled together as an anchor. He had oars in the boat that he used to position it after he dropped the anchor. It had a remote control switch for the winch on the right oar.

https://www.riverlarrys.com/

Yeah gill,

That is exactly what I am talking about, they are the best on the market but also very expensive. The Minn Kota deckhand 40 is what I am planning on buying unless someone here has a better system they have concocted. Just figured I would see if anyone else has put them on their builds before.

Overboard,

Thanks for the link, that is the cheapest I have seen one.

SpartanAngler said:
Yeah gill,

That is exactly what I am talking about, they are the best on the market but also very expensive. The Minn Kota deckhand 40 is what I am planning on buying unless someone here has a better system they have concocted. Just figured I would see if anyone else has put them on their builds before.

Overboard,

Thanks for the link, that is the cheapest I have seen one.
I have had Minn Kota Deckhand 25Rs on 2 boats. They worked well but on the 25s you have to either put the anchor in the boat or pin the anchor in the davit when running, if you leave the anchor weight on the winch while you are pounding down the river it will tear up the gears in the winch. I know from experince :(

Why couldn't you use something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/2000-lb-electric-atvutv-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68146.html

The biggest issue I have heard with the standard winch (like the harbor freight ones) is the speed, it is very difficult to hold the boat in place and get the anchor up. That being said, it may be worth it for the price.

Latest posts