Need advice on where to position rod holders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
After almost loosing a pole to a well fed carp I decided to bite the bullet and get rod holders, but I could use some advice as to where to put them. I fish mostly in a river, anchored with the bow pointing upstream. I cast out the bait downstream and wait. Usually I just lean the poles, one in each corner, against the transom. For this application I would put them as far back as I could. However I would like to try trolling for walleyes in the river and in some of the local lakes. For this I considered moving them a bit forward towards the bench where I sit. (My boat is a 12'er and I usually fish alone, so I don't see any need to put any holders up front.)

What has been your experience with where and where not to place rod holders?
Thank you.

Best to sit in boat and lay rods out like u were fishing. See what works best for your liking. I have two on transom, two near the front and a couple that u move on the "rail" my boat has a track.in the rail where I can slide them anywhere

Someone on this forum had pictures of his flush mounts on the bench seats. I liked that idea and copied it. I have two flush mounts on the front and middle benches. I had those rail mounted ones before on my glass boat but didn't like the fact that they got in the way a lot, especially when docking.

I aslo have a 12-er and understand your situation. It took a few fishing trips (alone and with a partner) before deciding. I sit to starboard on the rear bench to operate the tiller, so placed a holder on the aft port area where I could easily watch the rod and retrieve it while running the motor. When fishing with another, I have them sit with their rod out the starboard side to minimize lines crossing. So I put another holder on the starboard side toward the bow. The kind of rod holders you pick is up to you. But I agree with nomowork that holders can easily get in the way while docking or tending lines. I also fly fish a lot, and that kinda dictates the specific holders I like to use.
Regardless, make 'em sturdy and reliable.

Everyone's situation is a bit different via the boat, the species of fish, etc., so spend some time noticing how you fish at different times of the year for different species, then try to visualize where a rod holder would work best.

One rod holder that may work for you is the driftmaster brand, very sturdy for all types of fishing, I use 'em for crappie fishing which are not hard hitting fish compared to other species, but never know when a green carp or cat will get hungry either. The Driftmasters have several different styles of mounts, flush or ones that will be about 1/2" above the mounting surface at most, even some rail mounts are available. They also have left hand threaded bases/holders so you can install them on the left side and they won't spin or come loose. These are not adjustable in terms of angle of the pole as that is set by the option of rod holder you choose, but they do adjust 360* w/o issue. They do offer different rod angles from zero up to 30* I believe for different applications.

Latest posts