Can I make a livewell from this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcateercustom

Reaction score
For those who I haven't met yet, my name is Lucas. I am rebuilding a 1989 bass tracker, and need a nice big livewell. I think I found something that will work for not a lot of money. I plan on buying this tank at the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-GALLON-Fresh-Water-Tank-Cargo-Trailer-Concession-Camper-Gal-FDA-Approved-/300767196924?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46071f36fc

Then plan on wrapping it in sheet insulation, then building a box around it from maybe plywood or something. Al will be hidden behind the seats under deck and want to build a lid on the deck that actually sills it of so water doesn't splash everywhere. I would like to hear your takes on it. Thanks!

If you would like to check out my build it is in my signature at the bottom of this comment.

You could save a lot of work and expense by using a "coleman" cooler they are already insulated and have a water tight hinged lid. In my area you can pick up a large cooler at yard sales for $5.00-$10.00 I have one and it works great. Just another idea.

Well I had really thought about that, great idea, but I was looking for something a little more professional looking. I wanted to use the latches from tempress so it would look right(moulded in) on the back deck. A lot of guys use the coolers and they work great from what I hear. If I could mould them in to the deck somehow and make em look good, I'd go with it! I'm all about just spending 5-10 bucks!

I know what you mean, I'm the same way. I like the professional/factory look whenever I do stuff.

I believe some, if not all, tempress hatches are sealed. But I don't know HOW sealed.

I dont see why not. I dont remember who but I saw just a few days ago somebody used that exact same tank to make a livewell.

That is what I was going to use but remembered that I had saved the outer tank from our water softener when we got a new one. It was retangle in shape and just needed to be cut done for height. Works great

Well I got to thinking about the whole cooler thing. I found two coolers for free so I think I am going to try it and just see how it turns out. They are a little taller then my original deck but I think I can make them work. They will be hooked up just like a regular livewell and not the cooler kit(no offense) lol. I am thinking I can remove the lids and set the decking right down on top of them. I will foam around a little just to add some good support. I am thinking of a good way to put my deck on top of them maybe glas really good the area that would be the top of the live wells. There would be two which I like. And then I could just seal them real good where the fiberglass meets the top of the cooler. Then......Man there's a lot of steps lol :mrgreen: ..... Then cut the wholes for the tempress hatches. I think it will work because it will look good on top and pretty much cover everything underneath with foam anyway. I still can have my professional look but it would cost a lot either. I didnt pay anything for the coolers so if I screw it up all I have lost is a little time. Here's the coolers.

19b10f8cf2b68126db4dc57a9cfb6242.jpg

I think if I take the lids off it would be just about the right height. Comments? And thanks diesel for the idea!

Lucas I am glad the coolers worked out for you, free is a hard price to beat. I looked at your build thread you are doing a fantastic job on your boat, it will be really sharp when you are done.

Thanks Diesel!!
I think i am going with these for my live wells one on each side. If they are not big enough I'll move up one size, but I think these will work. I just don't want to have to have issues chasing fish around lol

https://tempress.com/#ecwid:category=610306&mode=product&product=1527358

I like the dark gray they have but if anyone knows where I can get them cheaper and that color that would be great! I have a feeling that tempress has really good quality though. I also thought about their containers for a livewell pretty cheap from what I've seen so far.

What size is your livewell psg1?

The livewell in my Triton 1650SC is about 18 x 18", it came from the factory. Kinda small, but at least it is a livewell.

But when I was a kid, I used a 48 qt cooler, with a 350 GPH rule bilge pump, as an aerator, sitting in the cooler, about 1/2 full of water.

Latest posts