To Plug, or not to Plug?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Hey all...

1953 Alumacraft Model K 16' tinny....

Realized that she doesn't have a drain plug aft...

Necessary to put one in or not?

Was going to test for any leaks next week by putting some water in her, and realized ...uhhh no plug?!

I guess I could always tip it out, and drilling a hole that size in the transom just doesn't feel right...

Opinion? Thoughts?

if you want to check for leaks you can just siphon the water out after.

i personally couldnt imagine having a boat without one. not only is it handy it is a safety feature.
either using a bucket or a bilge pump. leave your bucket at home or let your battery die at your up the creek. in a emergency you can drain water out of a boat by getting on plane then removing the plug.

I don't have one in my boat and it is a PAIN!! It isn't a problem if my tarp is good, but there have been times when it leaked or blew off and the boat filled up with water. Also, one time I got the boat on the trailer just before it started pouring rain. It rained all the way home and the boat was FULL when I got home. I want to add one, but I am not sure how. I have contacted a shop that does aluminum fabrication and they said the metal may be too thin to add a pipe for a standard drain. I believe that there are flange type drains with screw out plugs. I may go that route.

Long story short... if you can add one do.

My 12 footer did not have a drain plug either. That was the first modification I made to the boat. Its a must have in my opinion. Drilling the 1" hole with the hole saw was a little nerve wrecking but after I installed the plug and sealed it up I was happy! Do it man, you wont regret it.

What type of sealant should I use? I saw some 3M 5200 that everyone keeps referencing, but that said only for Wood and Fiberglass....

Also, any recommendation on type of plug, or is that all preference???

I have seen the black plastic plug, and metal plug...

If it were me, I would put a plug in it. As far as the sealant, I've heard good things about 5200. Several on this site have used it on their aluminum boats.

MOE said:
If it were me, I would put a plug in it. As far as the sealant, I've heard good things about 5200. Several on this site have used it on their aluminum boats.

Any recommendation on type? Either the nylon, or brass type?

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12547_-1?N=635907666
This is the kind I've always used. Never had to intall one. Never even seen a boat that didn't have one from factory so I don't know what's availible for what you need.

Latest posts