Wondernig if I can turn my run about into an open bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodySedlar

Reaction score
I just picked up this 60's 18' Starcraft. It has a enclosed bow and I was wondering if I would cut the aluminum out to make it an open bow or is that structural? I would then make it a side console and do away with the full windshield...I really want to put a casting deck up front with a bow mount trollng motor. Thanks Guys!
-Cody

Attachments

• downsized_0810021240[1].jpg
    downsized_0810021240[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,595
CodySedlar said:
I just picked up this 60's 18' Starcraft. It has a enclosed bow and I was wondering if I would cut the aluminum out to make it an open bow or is that structural? I would then make it a side console and do away with the full windshield...I really want to put a casting deck up front with a bow mount trollng motor. Thanks Guys!
-Cody

If that were my boat...which I wish it were...I wouldnt touch that thing. Not becuase of structural issues but becuase of it being a classic Starcraft Runabout. Nice boat you got there man!

My dad cut the deck out of my grandpa's old Alumacraft and decked it. It works just fine. He just drilled out the rivets and took the deck off, that way we can always put it back if we get the urge.

it seems like ive read a post about someone doing this on another forum. iboats maybe but im not sure. thats a great boat youve got there.

For what my opinion is worth (and that varies depending upon who you ask), you would be losing MUCH
more than you could ever gain.

That is a great boat, and nicely done as it stands.

[-o<

Alright guys...you've convinced me to leave iy alone. I'll throw a transom mount trolling motor on it and put an elevated casting deck in the rear.
Thanks for the advice!

CodySedlar said:
Alright guys...you've convinced me to leave iy alone. I'll throw a transom mount trolling motor on it and put an elevated casting deck in the rear.
Thanks for the advice!

\:D/

I've seen several of these builds and most look real good.

The large casting deck up front opens up a lot of room which is otherwise wasted space.

Runabouts have their place if all you want to do is cruise the lake or pull a skier, but they're very cramped for a fisherman.

If you do decide to cut the bow out later, don't cut it all the way back to the sidewall. Leave the same amount of the bow enclosure as the gunwales so you'll have a continous gunwale around the boat, then after you install the deck you can turn the gunwale down with some sheet metal and angle for a finished look and very professional looking installation.

I have a couple of links to a couple of different builds if you're interested.

I am not sure how much of a runabout you would like to keep with your mods, but you could put a bow mount trolling motor on that boat with a quick release bracket. With four bolts through the bow cap you could mount a power drive unit or motor guide wireless trolling motor from the bow for better performance that can be easily removed.

Took the boat out for the first time and it ran great! Took on a little water over the weekend...nothing that the bilge pump couldn't handle but I know I have some leaky rivets to fix!

The windshield was kind of annoying so I'm still tossing around the idea of making it an open bow or center console.

I got a Minn Kota transom mount at Dicks on Friday for a sweet deal and that helped a lot for squeezing into my tight dock space.

Open that thing up!

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,416
  • bkib5.JPG
    bkib5.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,417
  • bkib1.JPG