removable deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklett

Reaction score
Has anyone made a removable casting deck? My kids like going on the boat so I would like to keep the benches for them but I would like to have a deck for when I'm by myself. I was thinking of doing something similar to dzus fasteners to hold it in place(I would have to make my own though since they are for sheet metal and my deck would be plywood). Does this sound feasible?

Yes, I am building one, below are some pics showing how I am doing it.

Attachments

• 2012-08-22 20.02.38.jpg
    2012-08-22 20.02.38.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 2,345
  • 2012-08-19 18.52.03.jpg
    2012-08-19 18.52.03.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2,345
  • 2012-08-19 18.39.26.jpg
    2012-08-19 18.39.26.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2,345
  • 2012-08-19 18.38.37.pdf
    160.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 2012-08-19 18.39.00.jpg
    2012-08-19 18.39.00.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,345
Here's what I'm planning to do about a removable front deck. Please note that I did NOT come up with this idea myself:

picture.jpg

picture-1.jpg

picture-2.jpg

I'm wanting to use two sections of ladder to extend it farther back and fix hangers on each end of the ladder sections so as to be removable, like in the pics.

Fish4thrills What a great idea! It doesn't get any better than that, the only thing wrong with it is that I didn't think of it either.

I must say thats pretty cool.
Mod your boat without really changing it,great idea.
I think I could attach a live well type rig to that,for when I do little tournaments or just want to keep afew.

That is a great ideal. I don't need removable decks in mine but I wish I had thought of that when I was rebuilbing mine. I probably could have saved money on the aluminium I bought for supports and just went to the flea market and hit some yard sales and bought ladders.

Mine's removable on a "V". I made it so I can take it out when winterizing the boat or for cleaning the hull.

It's built on a triangle shaped frame, with the base sitting on aluminum angle about half way up the middle bench and the tip of the triangle sitting on a "V" curved shape piece up in the bow section. The combination of the weight/carpet/aluminum angle hold everything in place. I like it alot, really opens up the boat's fish-ability, but it's heavy in the grand scheme of things.

I need more motor now. :?

The lake I fish on rents boats and I was thinking it would be cool if I can make a deck I can take with me.
I planned on some type of J-hooks to latch on the bottom of the seat and a pedestal or something to support the weight in the front.

Now that I can see the pics again, Alan's design with the brackets and the front piece are exactly like mine, mine's just lower.

Alan -

You may not need it, but with mine on the two support brackets I put a span of thin right angle aluminum less than half the size of the support brackets across the front edge to hold the shelf from sliding forward. With the added carpet on the 2"x3"s it made a lock fit between brackets and the front - it's not moving anywhere, and is a royal pain to lift up and out of the brackets to remove the deck. :lol:

Thought that one through TOO good.

Fish4thrills -

That's a great idea with the ladder section. You could double up the deck sections as extra bench seating if you didn't need them as a deck section. Would be a great way to make a modular setup in an open jon.

Wihil,

If you open up the PDF, you will see a slightly different view of what I did... Anyway, the front cleat fits fairly snug in the front and can only move upward. The framing is bolted in and the force is downward. I have stood up on top of it and it appears to be tight, so we will see... I do plan to have an access door in the middle too. I am debating how to hinge the door. Did you put in a door on your casting deck?

Alan

jklett said:
Has anyone made a removable casting deck? My kids like going on the boat so I would like to keep the benches for them but I would like to have a deck for when I'm by myself. I was thinking of doing something similar to dzus fasteners to hold it in place(I would have to make my own though since they are for sheet metal and my deck would be plywood). Does this sound feasible?

i have the same situation. two kids who love to come along and also like going alone. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24716
i just put it from bench to bench and installed two pieces of angle iron on each bench to fit 1x1 on to support the middle of the deck. total it weighs about 15 to 20 pounds and is removed/ installed in under a minute.

Alan -

Nope, no access other than a cut out for the battery box to rest on a piece of closed cell foam. It's right at the 2x3 that holds the rear of the deck on the brackets.

My boat is relatively shallow, so while I wanted a raised deck going off of the seat height was too high for stability - so I made the deck start at half the height of the front bench. Deck height from the bottom of the boat's "V" is only about 4-6" or so, so there's not a lot of usable space under it IMO. The real benefit was that it gave me a flat floor to use instead of a "V" to stand on, so it really added like another usable 4' onto the front of the boat.

Right where your cut out is, the battery box would be up against the seat with the top showing, then a seat pole with the the seat on it (just over the top of the battery box), then wide open deck until you hit the bow cap, and under that is a cut up 5gal bucket to hold onto my anchor. Still easily out of the way, and VERY comfortable to fish from as my brother in law was so happy to inform me. :|

Latest posts