Ways to lock/secure outboard on boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I'd like to see what some of you creative fellas have done to lock/secure your clamp-on outboards to transom. I know they make different thing to accomplish this what have you done.

I've seen a couple of these.. Long story short I heard in the past thieves just pry it open with flat head or pry bar. Best bet IMO is bolting it to your transom. Maybe hex or star if available. If they are determined they will get it regardless, might just take the entire boat/motor/trailer. Simple lock between the clamps will deter rookies. Insure if valued.

Attachments

• lock.jpeg
    lock.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,041
I bolted my motor through the transom with 5200 in an effort to stop the casual thief. I understand that they just cut the transom out if they really want it. I also have a locking cable through the motor and around both wheels on the trailer.

nomowork said:
I bolted my motor through the transom with 5200 in an effort to stop the casual thief. I understand that they just cut the transom out if they really want it. I also have a locking cable through the motor and around both wheels on the trailer.
I like that idea! But your right and as other people said. All you need is crowbar and or a sawsall and you could be out of their pretty quick.

I run a chain through one of the back handles and padlock it to the motor on one boat.

Another has a knee brace that has a hole under it that a chain can go through and be padlocked.

I'm more worried about it bouncing off or getting knocked off on the lake than I am someone stealing it. Normally the boat does not get out of my sight if the motor is attached. When at home, the motors come off and get locked onto a stand inside.

My 91 Johnson 15 you can lock the clamp handles together and I always keep them locked. When the boat is in storage, in my driveway or yard, I also put a chain through the transom brace and lock it to the motor. Realistically, any thief could get it off with a pair of bolt cutters, but if they really want it, it is insured.

I have a thick cable and padlock for both the motor and spare tire.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I have a thick cable and padlock for both the motor and spare tire.

Here's a funny story about a security braided cable.

I once had a two seater kayak that we fished off of. We went to the beach to fish one day and I realized that I had forgot to bring the key to unlock the built in lock in the cable, so we grabbed our tackle and fished from the muddy shore nearby the parking lot. I slipped on the mud and squashed my reel with my fat butt. I was so upset, I got my side cutters out from my tool box and nipped away at the cable. It took me only a few minutes to cut through that cable! We did go kayak fishing!

With today's battery operated tools it make it much easier for them to cut through cable or chain or even drill out the lock for that matter. The locks, chains & cables will slow them down some and if there is an easier target chances are they will take it instead.

It's insured but who wants to go through that hassle if you don't have to.

You got insurance (as do I) but that does not mean you will get the true value of what someone steals from you. Unless maybe you got Replacement Cost Insurance which is gonna cost more and you still pay a deductible. Rare for the person who has something stolen to be happy with the outcome.

I had a buddy get a 115 HP yamaha 4 stroke stolen off his boat in the backyard, scumbags unbolted it and put the nuts back on the bolts for him. It was middle of the night when they were there.

Tim

earl60446 said:
You got insurance (as do I) but that does not mean you will get the true value of what someone steals from you. Unless maybe you got Replacement Cost Insurance which is gonna cost more and you still pay a deductible. Rare for the person who has something stolen to be happy with the outcome.

A big X2 on this one. I looked into insurance for my boat, they would offer NADA value for my beloved 1998 8 HP 'Rude, which turned out to be $80, yes $80, and I'm sure my '86 Landau jon wouldn't book value any more than a couple hundred bucks. They did, however, offer a $2500 no questions asked reimbursement, but it ended up being around $350 a year, I thought that was a little steep.

I use one of the locks like sixgun posted, but my best defense is keeping the boat in the garage.

I keep my boat in the water, so it is difficult for people to steal my outboard. But, I have heard of thieves going into the water at night and unscrewing lower units and stern drives off of boats.

And on the topic of insurance, the numbers NADA puts out for all outboards are extremely low.

basstender10.6 said:
I keep my boat in the water, so it is difficult for people to steal my outboard. But, I have heard of thieves going into the water at night and unscrewing lower units and stern drives off of boats.

And on the topic of insurance, the numbers NADA puts out for all outboards are extremely low.

Wow if the holes are below the water lined you'd have a sunken boat!

I agree on the NADA but that makes it nicer for state taxes.

Low lifes don't want to make noise so almost anything will be a deterent...consider locks that are made of Boron steel. Abus (a German company that makes top notch padlocks) Marine Locks are one of the best outboard locks money can buy but cheap they are not. Expect to pay easily $ 200 + for an Abus =D> .One thing to consider, when you shell out $ 5g's or $6g's (...or more!) for an outboard what's $ 200 ?...remember the insurance company will pay...but they will consider brand,depreciation...deductible... :cry: .
Dan

i padlock my clamps,but i rely more on my insurance.its replacement value,and my deductible is less than a $200 lock.my motor is only2 years old,but the older it gets the better the replacement value is.if it ever gets stolen,they will have to upgrade me to a 4 stroke.

Latest posts