Where to mount trolling motor quick connect bracket on bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
I have a new MK Powerdrive v2 with iPilot and the MKA-32 mounting bracket.

The bracket base is a rectangular metal piece. I have a carpeted 3/4" plywood deck across gunwales at the bow of the boat that I want to mount the base to, but I have a few questions:

1) Does the centerline of the mounting bracket have to be parallel to the centerline of the boat? (Or can it be angled off to the side a bit?)

2) If it needs to be parallel to the centerline, can it be offset to one side or the other, or does it need to be directly behind the bow, i.e. on the centerline of the boat.

I hope the questions are clear. I'm guessing that with a regular hand-steer TM it wouldn't matter. But I wasn't sure if the iPilot had special requirements.

Thanks!

This is how my Minn Kota with auto pilot was mounted on my last boat. Offset to the left.

Attachments

• Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 616
sydney and project 271.jpg
TM plate.jpg
Opps,just noticed you ere asking about an Ipilot,I just have a regular powerdrive.

I don't believe it makes any difference where it's mounted as far as the Ipilot goes, as long as it's got a solid mount that doesn't allow a lot of vibration. Mine isn't an auto pilot just a PD V2, but where it's mounted wouldn't effect to gps functions of the motor if it had it. It'll still maintain the track You set it on, and just make slightly different adjustments to maintain the course it's set on, in comparison to if it were mounted on the centerline of the hull.

Attachments

• IM000630 (800x600).jpg
    IM000630 (800x600).jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 590
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'll mount it wherever it's most convenient...

If you have to jump to shore sometimes,from the bow,take that into consideration as well as the bow stop.

I know the Terrova base will extend out past the leading edge of the bow as required to deploy and retract the Tm, not sure about the PD versionl. Make sure you will clear the bow stop and everything else when loading or launching.

Latest posts