Need some ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
I have a 16 foot tin boat sitting in my driveway. We have not used this boat in about 7 years now, it was originally intended as a back bay boat for fluke and crabbing. Right now it is powered by a 25 hp Evinrude with cable (not hydro) steering and controls. The boat is a "V" with a five foot beam.

mander1_001.jpg

My question:

I would like to make this boat electric so I can use it in the nearby electric only lakes. I would also like to keep the outboard for use in the river.

There is no trolling motor right now, I was thinking of some sort of stern electric motor power with a bow trolling motor for control while bass fishing but not the main electric power.

Any ideas?

I would probably get an 82# motorguide with a dual battery for the back, and then a 46-54 # thrust. single battery setup for the front.

They used to make a dual electric model for electric only lakes, but I dont see it listed anymore.

Round here, there are a quite a few elec. only tourneys. The optimum setup is two 70 - 80 pounders on the back, and a 60 - 70 on the front. The transom ones are locked to stay straight. They are controlled with a bigfoot switch up front. The front ones are used to steer. Your setup would be just fine without one of the transom ones. Or, if you aren't looking for speed, just to get around a small lake, a 55 on the back would do just fine.

Well, HERE is Cartersville GA. Northwest of Atlanta. The tourneys are more on the west and south side of ATL. The trails I am talking about are the high voltage bass anglers, and the southern jon boat tourneys. On another forum I frequent, many guys live a bit closer to the east and south side of atl where these tourneys are, so they set their jonboat up like a lot of tourney boats. I believe there is a third jon boat tourney in the same vicinity as the first two, and there are a few up in NC as well.

Killer man, I run one of them in NC, and we just got some transplants from one of the GA clubs, Standridge boys, if you know them.

We've been working on getting a multi-state deal set-up for a while, I've poked at it for years, and finally have soem interest from one of the clubs here, and a few of the others, such as Lil' Water/Terry Anderson. Should be a blast

dampeoples said:
Killer man, I run one of them in NC, and we just got some transplants from one of the GA clubs, Standridge boys, if you know them.

We've been working on getting a multi-state deal set-up for a while, I've poked at it for years, and finally have soem interest from one of the clubs here, and a few of the others, such as Lil' Water/Terry Anderson. Should be a blast
I haven't actually fished them yet. Don't exactly have the skill to be worth throwing 30 - 50 bucks a weekend down. Might fish a few next year, and when I am 16, I am hoping to fish all of the jon boat tourneys, and many other T trails.

The thread needed hijacking from you!

Your best bet with that boat is to hook it up, drag it down here, and let real men get some use out of it, you know once the grinch is dragged out, you won't even stop to kick the tires on this one anymore!

dampeoples said:
The thread needed hijacking from you!

Your best bet with that boat is to hook it up, drag it down here, and let real men get some use out of it, you know once the grinch is dragged out, you won't even stop to kick the tires on this one anymore!

DP,
Becareful what you wish for, Look at the fish he catches from shore, I'd hate to see the damage he could do on his boat!

I am now looking for some electric motors for the "Mander (that is what we call the boat). I have also decided to mount a low casting platform on the front, so lots of aluminum stock is in my future I guess.

I am also planning on putting in a pulley and winch for a river anchor system, this will allow me to use a chain anchor to slow the drift that I can control from the helm.

Anyone have more ideas, I am still planning but will post pics once work commences

I am interested, but might need a little more power then that - it is a heavy 16 ft boat and I plan on using it in the River

esquired said:
I am interested, but might need a little more power then that - it is a heavy 16 ft boat and I plan on using it in the River

Yeah you'll probably need more power.

Hey - if there is a free bag of any PC Baits stuff I will take two motors. Then the big, lunker, huge, giant supremo, astronomic, astronomical, galactic, colossal, prodigious, stupendous, elephantine, gargantuan, jumbo, humongous, thumping, whopping, walloping, massive, monolithic, monumental size Bass can just pull me around the lake.

Latest posts