cleaning an Alum. boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freetofish

Reaction score
OK, I have seen the answer to this question one other time... However even after I wrote it down, I seem to have misplaced it... I just want to clean the outside of my boat. I would also like some opinions of the value of waxing an old 1648 jon boat.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
peace

1648 Jon Boat?... Did Columbus sail on that bad boy or what?

Kidding.

I just got a 1953 Alumcraft, and am in the same process of cleaning... I took several sized wire brushes to the hull and cleaned it that way... time consuming, but really gets into the cracks and crevices. Really reveals the nicks and dings in the bottom too... also kind of smooths out the gouges in the bottom.

From there I took an orbital sander and hit it a few times... am not sure if I plan on giving it a real good shine or not...

I took some dish soap and water and scrubbed it down with a brillo pad and it left a good clean look to it.
Some have recommeneded TSP, which I bought, but have not used it yet... plan to use that on the inside since I have non skid bottom.

Just my 2 cents

I have an 04 Tracker with the OEM paint on the upper half, and have used Dawn and Joy dishwashing detergent on it w/o issue. I use one of those scotchbrite pads on the bare aluminum to get the water scum off but not on the paint. No issues and it cleans up good.

I haven't tried this myself, but looks like it could work.

https://britekleensolutions.com/

One thing I did not continue doing was trying to shine it with Mothers Mag/Alum polish or NeverDull... both just filled the scratches and nicks with black residue and just made them stand out more...

Waste of time for me...

It may work on the sides where there is less damage, but the bottom will never get that much work from me again.

I used Eagle brand chrome and wheel cleaner. They also make an aluminum cleaner but it did not work for me. I had a bad build up of water scum and the bottom was black. You just spray this stuff on leave it set and wipe it off. On the real bad areas I used a green scratch pad. It left the bottom of the boat a clean aluminum color it is not shiny but it looks clean

The spray on aluminum wheel cleaner that you buy at auto parts stores that is labeled for Aluminum Wheels is not what you want to clean a boat. It is made to cut brake dust and not disturb the clear coat on aluminum wheels.

Look for something for cleaning Mag Wheels. It's acid that actually cleans the aluminum. Alumabrite works very well and is the same basic principal. Be sure to spray it on from the bottom towards the top to keep it from running and streaking. Gloves, eye protection and a mask or respirator are recommended when using acid to clean. Also keeping a box of baking soda around to neutralize it if it gets on your skin can be handy.

Green scotch brite pads work well. Don't use steel wool since any left over fibers will react with the aluminum.

Ahead brand pontoon & aluminum boat cleaner.

Stuff works great. I use it mostly for cleaning aluminum radiators on ATV's. They go from muddy/plugged fins to looking literally brand new in 5 minutes or less. I haven't found anything else that works better (yet).

Thanks for all the good information... I have made a list and this time I hope not to loose it...Thanks everyone that responded.
peace
ron

Latest posts