Our "new" mirror craft" 14 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweir

Reaction score
In addition to our 21' fiberglass boat and my 1930's wood hunting boat, my son and I just purchased our first tin boat project. She is a 1972 14' mirrorcraft.

306.jpg

The previous owner had "customized" her with pt 2 x 4's, PT plywood decks and a PT 2 x10 transom brace. Fortunately it was a lake boat and corrosion was not that bad. My son and I de-rigged the old decking, fishfinder mount, etc. and removed the old repair to the transom

305.jpg

Here's the way not to do a transom support. One piece of PT checked and waiting to eat aluminum!

308.jpg

When we removed the PT we found some minor corrosion, but not as bad as I thought we might. The PO told us he used a copper layer between....NOT.

310.jpg

309.jpg

We started cutting the 2 layers of 3/4" ply for the transom and laminated them together with fiberglass mat and epoxy resin.

311.jpg

Tomorrow night we'll laminate over the whole assembly with 'glass cloth, over bore the mountin holes and fill with thickened epoxy (to seal the wood core from the bolt holes we will redrill).

-J

:WELCOME: That is a good looking boat you got......There are a few Mirrorcraft owners on here that will be glad to help with your questions.....you are already off to a good start getting rid of that pt wood.

Latest posts