Framing for a deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Morning all...

So I have seen various set ups for decking in all kinds of various sized, and types of boats.

Seen wood frames, and aluminum framing.

I recently saw a rebuild that had 3 sided aluminum framing for a deck, and it looked nice...

Does anyone know if those types of aluminum supports are lighter than a ripped 2x4 for framing?

I guess overall length of the deck and other factors could weigh in on the project, but wasnt sure if there was a consensus on which is better?

thx

I think "better" is relative to the individual project. Budget, finished expectations etc.... make wood a better option, and sometimes metal the right choice. When I built my rig, I wanted to do it once and never worry about screws loosening, wood rotting etc... so I chose aluminum; however, that's not to say that wood will always give those results. For me, I store the boat outside, often fish in the rain, and am on the water 12 months out of the year. I was in no rush to build the boat, and wanted something to keep for many years after it was complete. Therefore the "better" choice for me was metal.

That said, I'd have no qualms building a boat with wood framing if my situation/expectations were different. I've been in boats with wood framing done the right way, and I'm sure they will last many years.

tonynoriega said:
but wasnt sure if there was a consensus on which is better?

I agree w/ Brine, "better" is relative to the individual.

IMO, aluminum is better in every way except two:
- wood is easier to work with (could be argued depending on who you ask)
- wood is less expensive (deciding factor in many, many cases!)

The channel you mention would be stout, but not sure of the cost in relation to angle, which works just fine.

Aluminum angle, square tube, and channel is cheap if you buy it at a scrap yard or recycle center.

Aluminum angle may seem flimsy by itself, but when fastened properly to a sheet of plywood it becomes very rigid. Channel is even stronger and square tube is the strongest.

It doesn't really take special tools to work with aluminum, a skill saw with a carbide tipped blade will cut it... and instead of a hammer and nails it can be fastened with self tapping tech screws or blind (pop) rivets. Stainless steel fasteners are vey expensive compared to aluminum blind rivets.

You won't find wood framing in any new aluminum boat, aluminum framing is OEM in all new aluminum boats.

i will have to agree with brine. for me wood was a better choice for my 1970 12 ft sears. partly because the wood i got was free from work. also because i live on base and cant park my boat outside so it is garaged full time if im not on the water so wood should last me a really long time.

Latest posts