No Carpet! Just Deck! buuuut need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheffsboat

Reaction score
Ahoy tinboaters!

I'm thinking about coating my deck with Rust-Oleum 15 oz. Truck Bed Coating Spray-On. Has anybody ever used this stuff before? They sell it at Home Depot for like $8. Anyway, I don't want to put carpet down but I need to protect my plywood deck from the salt water. I already treated my deck with Thompson's Water Seal so I just need to put something extra on to make it less slippery. I heard from some of my fellow tinboaters they put some sand on the deck to make it less slippery. That sounds good but I don't want to go that route. So if anybody has some suggestions on some different spray on liners, etc. please let me know.

I'll keep a weather eye on this post,
sheff

I have been researching this stuff a lot.

First off, it seems that the Rustoleum product only comes in two colors, tan and black. Is that the case? (Since you already went there you should know).

Stay away from the black for the deck. It will get just as hot as a truck bed liner that is black. I had a pickup with a truck bed liner and on a hot day in Florida you don''t want to even touch that stuff. The spray on maybe different, but black is a definite heat absorber.

From what I have seen and from what I have read, it would be a good idea. Just apply according to the instructions. Are your decks going to be removable?

Talons

When I did a Slickcraft back in the early 80's I used a epoxy paint type material that you added chips to and it made it a non skid floor. I used a grey color and it worked good. The only problem was in the summer it got so hot you could not stand on it . I ended up spending the big bucks for the rubber flooring. They make a deck coating that is called Restore and the neighbors used that on there deck and it did not seem to get hot. It comes in many colors and is non skid. I thought about using it on the boat I am doing now but went with carpet.

I've seen a couple of bed liner deck jobs that looked pretty good.

One was sprayed on with a paint sprayer and the other was rolled on.

Light gray seems to be the most popular color.

@Talons. Not sure about the diff colors. At my Home Depot all they had was black. I'm sure black and tan are the only two they got though.

Lowes sells a product called Deck Restore, that looks like some mean stuff, it made to paint on wood, to resurface old decks, though it looks like truck bed liner and can be tinted to like 20 different colors, The label claims it can fill a crack up to 1/4 inch.

Here is a link

https://www.lowes.com/pd_352097-82763-49150CHARLESTO352097_0__?productId=3557650&Ntt=restore&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

They didn't have any premixed colors at my local store.

I just bought some Polyeurathane made by Gliden.....It cost 24 dollars a gallon. It is just like Spar urethane and you can get it in many different colors.....I plan on putting at least 2-3 coats before the final coat. On the final coat you sprinkle the paint chips to get the desired look. It is made to restore floors and porches.....It is a breeze to put on and when I get to the final coat I will post some pics up.

sheffsboat said:
Ahoy tinboaters!

I'm thinking about coating my deck with Rust-Oleum 15 oz. Truck Bed Coating Spray-On. Has anybody ever used this stuff before? They sell it at Home Depot for like $8. Anyway, I don't want to put carpet down but I need to protect my plywood deck from the salt water. I already treated my deck with Thompson's Water Seal so I just need to put something extra on to make it less slippery. I heard from some of my fellow tinboaters they put some sand on the deck to make it less slippery. That sounds good but I don't want to go that route. So if anybody has some suggestions on some different spray on liners, etc. please let me know.

sheff

I would not trust the Thompson's it does not last very long from my experiance with it. (I did my front & rear porch with it, it barely lasted a year.)

sheffsboat said:
Ahoy tinboaters!

sheff

I would not trust the Thompson's it does not last very long from my experiance with it. (I did my front & rear porch with it, it barely lasted a year.)

bigwave said:
I just bought some Polyeurathane made by Gliden.....It cost 24 dollars a gallon. It is just like Spar urethane and you can get it in many different colors.....I plan on putting at least 2-3 coats before the final coat. On the final coat you sprinkle the paint chips to get the desired look. It is made to restore floors and porches.....It is a breeze to put on and when I get to the final coat I will post some pics up.

Are you applying this to bare plywood or something else? I thought about how plywood, coated with poly or porch paint would hold up on my boat floor. But the problem is I like to fish barefoot when the weather is warm, and I'm sure the floor would be very hot, correct?

Andy Taylor said:
bigwave said:

Are you applying this to bare plywood or something else? I thought about how plywood, coated with poly or porch paint would hold up on my boat floor. But the problem is I like to fish barefoot when the weather is warm, and I'm sure the floor would be very hot, correct?

That is what happened in my case burned feet

@sawmil:
What floor and coating combination burned your feet?
Talons

It was an expoy coating don't remeber the name but it was a light gray color and after being in the sun for a short while you could not walk on it barefoot. It was nice for cleanup but I like to fish barefoot or in my socks. This was many years ago and things have changed alot since then. I would like to have somthing instead of carpet in the boat I am doing now but my grandkids go with me so I did not want to chance it. The restore product is nice and I don't think it gets as hot. The neighbors have it on their deck and it seems to be OK.

sawmill said:
It was an expoy coating don't remeber the name but it was a light gray color and after being in the sun for a short while you could not walk on it barefoot. It was nice for cleanup but I like to fish barefoot or in my socks. This was many years ago and things have changed alot since then. I would like to have somthing instead of carpet in the boat I am doing now but my grandkids go with me so I did not want to chance it. The restore product is nice and I don't think it gets as hot. The neighbors have it on their deck and it seems to be OK.
Have you fished barefoot in the neighbor's boat on a very hot day?

I ask to be sure because I take my 16,8 & 6 year old and I want to use the rust oleum product on my deck, which as planned right now will be aluminum.

Talons

Talons said:
sawmill said:
Have you fished barefoot in the neighbor's boat on a very hot day?

I ask to be sure because I take my 16,8 & 6 year old and I want to use the rust oleum product on my deck, which as planned right now will be aluminum.

Talons

The neighbors deck is wood and they walk on it barefoot all the time, but older people have tougher feet than young ones have. There grandkids play on it and they havn't said anything about it being hot. The stuff they used was called Deck Restore and they got it at Home Depot. It was hard to put on because of the cracks in the wood and they could not cover between the deck boars very well. They had to use 3 coats becaues of the old wood. I don't think it would be to bad when covering an area such as on the floor of the boat because of the smooth surface. It does seal everything up water tight. If I ever do another boat I may give it a try.

I am not sure yet on how hot the color I picked will be. You can also buy an additive to make the surface non-slip. I applied the first coat to bare plywood, It soaked it up like a sponge. I will apply a second coat later tonite. The flakes I chose are black,grey,white,blue......the color of the poly is a very light grey. I will be surprised if it gets very hot.....if so I will just pull up the Bimini and seek some shade. If you look at Mobergs mod he did the same thing with the epoxy mix....I am going for the same look.....hides the dirt and such. I feel that if your on a budget, the poly is adequate to seal the wood and give a good look to the deck. This is the stuff I used, you can have this tinted.....just ask the paint people and they will show you the color chart.

https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/68/686d6485-1c43-4e7f-adcb-942e516cf7c1_300.jpg

just put down Hydro Turf and be done with it... I bought the "B" stock a 3 years ago and it's still holding up just fine on the front deck of my boat.. But just like anything else (paint or carpet) - it will get a little warm if you fish barefoot like I do.
I used 3M 90 Adhesive spray to put it down, and it's just now starting to bubble up in a few places, but you have to look to notice it. And that's after 3 years of sitting in all the elements in Georgia where it get cold, snow, rain & 110* days throughout the year....

https://hydroturf.com/products/Closeouts_and_Specials/Sheets_of_Turf

Latest posts