Weight limits and people

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melk

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to get a Jon Boat after too many years without one. Looking to get a pickup to throw the boat in, then motor around and have some fun. Now, I'm looking at, among other, a 10' Jon Boat, people capacity is 280 lbs, equipment is 220 lbs or so. The total, to this non math major is 500. Does that mean I can safely put in 500 lbs of people or does 220 have to reclassified as equipment?
Thanks,
Mike

Most rating plates will specify the capacity limit in the number of persons, as well as the weight limit in pounds.

For instance, "4 persons or 600 lbs", this assumes a 150 pound per person weight factor, and since most people weigh more than this, you have to go by the weight limit instead of the person capacity.

Typically the rating plate will also give a total weight limit for persons, motor(s) and gear.

I think you have your capacities mixed up.

220 lbs. people and 280 lbs. max capacity sounds more like it. This doesn't mean 500 lbs. max capacity, it's 220 for the people and 60 lbs. of gear.

Jon boats don't get to the 500 lb. max capacity until you get up to the 1432 and then it's only 480 lb. max capacity.

In case you're interested 10' jons are only rated for a 3 hp. motor.

10' jons are very "tippy" and it's very easy to take an unintended swim in one, especially with 2 people. If I was you I'd look for a bit bigger boat.

Latest posts