Leaving exposed wood floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
Have any of you guys left your wood floor exposed? What grade plywood did you use? What product did you use to seal/protect it? Has it worked well for you, or are you sorry you did it? I assume you cannot fish barefoot because it gets too hot? Thanks.

Well I do not have carpet it that is what you mean by exposed. Sealed it with a 2 part epoxy sealer and then covered that with Overton's Tuff Coat - light grey and no slip. Does not get hot at all and stays pretty clean on its own (I do not clean it - I just fish)

2 seasons and just like new!

73216_L1

73213_L1

Thanks Capt. What type of plywood did you use? What was the cost of the sealer and paint? I'm looking for a simple, inexpensive, durable finish.

Has anyone used exterior floor paint? Any other choices?

I used the cheapest 1/2" plywood, primed it and painted it with outdoor latex non skid concrete floor paint. It's been two seasons so far and looks like it'll last for at least another season if not more. My floor is designed to just lift out easily in case I need to retrieve something that falls below the floor. Nothing fancy, just functional.

Andy Taylor said:
Thanks Capt. What type of plywood did you use? What was the cost of the sealer and paint? I'm looking for a simple, inexpensive, durable finish.

Has anyone used exterior floor paint? Any other choices?

Used normal plywood - not marine grade

The sealer and paint are expensive but I am only doing this once so I got the correct product for the job.

https://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_sort|1||p_purchased|1&cname=Topside-Paints&Ne=1000&N=2825

nomowork said:
I used the cheapest 1/2" plywood, primed it and painted it with outdoor latex non skid concrete floor paint. It's been two seasons so far and looks like it'll last for at least another season if not more. My floor is designed to just lift out easily in case I need to retrieve something that falls below the floor. Nothing fancy, just functional.

What made you go with the concrete floor paint? Thanks guys.

Andy Taylor said:

Ease of applying, easy clean up, readily available at any hardware store, non slip, color is a close match to boat, made for outdoor use, one gallon will probably outlast me, I'm cheap........................ :roll:

nomowork said:
Andy Taylor said:

Ease of applying, easy clean up, readily available at any hardware store, non slip, color is a close match to boat, made for outdoor use, one gallon will probably outlast me, I'm cheap........................ :roll:

How does the concrete paint differ from the exterior porch paint? The porch paint is made for wood I think.

Andy Taylor said:
How does the concrete paint differ from the exterior porch paint? The porch paint is made for wood I think.

I really don't know if there is any difference. We used it on my son's concrete patio and on the wooden floors and benches of my tin.

nomowork said:
Andy Taylor said:

I really don't know if there is any difference. We used it on my son's concrete patio and on the wooden floors and benches of my tin.

Thanks. Does the floor get too hot in the sun to fish barefoot? Did you paint the underside too?

Andy Taylor said:
nomowork said:
Andy Taylor said:

Thanks. Does the floor get too hot in the sun to fish barefoot? Did you paint the underside too?

The wooden floors are a great insulator for heat. No, I didn't paint the underside as I used the cheapest plywood I could find so if I had to replace the floor, it wouldn't be a big deal.

As a contrast, my ocean boat has fiberglass floors and in the direct sunlight, I can't walk on them barefoot because it's too hot!

Nice. Thanks again.

Has anyone tried using an exterior wood stain instead of paint? From what I understand, the stains do not peel like paint, so it would be easier to just recoat periodically? But with paint you would have to sand first? Any thoughts?

Latest posts