Center of Gravity and other considerations...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
So... I posed the concept and idea on a non-boating related forum about me putting a floor and deck in my boat...

The gallery opened up with center of gravity issues and such, and although it hasn't swayed me yet, I just wanted to get some insight from the subject matter experts.

My boat is a 1953 16' Alumacraft. From what I can tell it is a "deep v" design...could anyone confirm that? The metal placards on the boat do not state "type" of boat... only model, which is Model K. And Alumacraft stated they do not have "specs" available for this boat any more.

When I considering making a "floor" in the boat, I plan on taking tips and concepts from alot of the projects I have seen on here and iBoats. Which, in theory would be a floor that runs in between the rear, and front bench, noting that I have removed the center bench. (float plan is another considering).

So, from the front of the rear bench, to the rear of the front bench.... I plan on laying a floor that run flush with the bottom of the seats.
As you can see in my image, it doesnt look too high... but I wanted to get the consensus on that... Should I run it a little lower?

I really liked some of the other projects that used an aluminum 90degree angle bracket to mount on the seats, to support the floor frame.

MY opinion.. is that the "floor" would not be too high to really effect the center of gravity...however, with that being said... I do not know.

The "deck" that would run flush with the top of the front bench and nose seat is a different story... I know that will cause serious COG issues, and am familiar with that as I do alot of bow fishing and my buddy and I created a deck for his 14' Lonestar that would be very similar... I dont have a problem with that when I am bow fishing as we are only ever trolling when someone is on the platform...

I guess my concern is that the floor may be too high...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG958752 (1).jpg
    IMG958752 (1).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 508
the top of your seats is probably as close as you'll get to the center of gravity on that boat pictured. And yes, it is a Deep V style.

If you keep the floor flush with the tops of your benches - front to rear - you should be fine. I've seen the same boat in our club through the years, and no one has ever had any problems as long as they kept it level from front to rear

It looks like the floor flattens out at the transom? If so it would be a semi-vee.

During the first outing in my tin, the winds kicked up unexpectedly and created a lot of chop. Upon heading back to the launch ramp, my GF was sitting on the front bench to try and keep some weight on the front cutting through the swells. My GF has been boating many more years than me so she decided to sit on the floor to get more weight lower in the hull and that helped a lot!

Yes, @lckstckn2smknbrls it does get pretty flat towards the transom...not much of a "V" it in at that point..

Thank you for clarifying.

Lower the floor, the greater stability. If you want to try it before you buy it, get a loose leaf of some ply board and place it over those tires? or blocks? at different heights to get the feel while you are out in the water, just try not to fall in the drink. Deep V is a term loosely used around here but mainly refers to a high sided semi-v hull when in reality a Deep v-hull extends all the way to the stern. Guilty myself. To determine if you a high sided boat, or "deep v" your transom wall should be a couple inches lower than your bow. Or if you have a 20" transom, your bow should be equal or greater than a cold beer.

Next time you go out see if you can adjust your tilt pin so the GF doesn't have to sit on the floor. Or consider adding bit of weight to the bow with a battery, or trolling motor mount/deck, etc. When in doubt, use a rock. They're free and easy to return.

I opted for the easier and lower floor on the 14ft reclamation project I did on an Alumacraft D.

Easy to cut to size, put pipe insulation foam on the edges, and whatever supports you chose under.

I used pool noodles. :( But then, I LIKE pool noodles.

Thread link is at bottom of my signature line.

Have fun.

My hull is very similar to yours.

Look at this thread for some ideas: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19949

Stability is not an issue and the boat fishes like a champ.

I have a 14' Alumacraft. Build link in my signature.

I removed the seats and put in a flat floor. ITs a boat, so I expect it to rock and rock she does. I walk aft to bow all the time without issues.

I am seriously considering moving the livewell from teh center to the port side, this should free up enough floor space to add a third seat. Now that both my sons have graduated college and live in town, I need the extra seat. Although I suspect within the next 5 years, Ill need a couple more seats for grandkids. The granddogs and my dogs already go fishing. I want a 16' for my next boat, and will be watching your build.

Latest posts